What age is old enough to let son stay home with the sleeping twins?

I have a 11 year old son and twins 19 months. I am not considering it anytime soon so dont worry about that, I am just curious what age is old enough if the twins are sleeping and the parents were to go out for dinner and my son could call us if they wake up up or for an emergency could call us. How old should he be??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I say 13 if he is responsible. I would let him try it out now to see how he handles being there alone with them. Go out for a walk or something at night with your husband to make sure he isn't scared to be alone at night. As long as your not going to far from the house then it should be fine. If the twins sleep all night and he can handle you going out then go for it. Have a neighbor keep an eye out as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on May. 5, 2009

• this is just my opinion but i would say 16-17. i do not believe a child under that age are able to process the responsibility of taking care of another child much less 2. so i would say you have a while. he still needs a baby sitter himself. until then, you could teach him or get him taught, first aid and cpr because in rare cases a child cannot wait until rescue services or the parents to come home if there is a big emergency. this is something you should give a good deal of consideration. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:32 AM on May. 5, 2009

• also it is not about trusting your son, it is about what COULD happen if you were not home. like a fire, intruder, abductor, one of the kids choked. if there was a fire could you 12 year old comprehend what kind of danger that is? would he be able to make a decision as big as rushing into a burning home to have his twin brother/sisters?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:34 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I think the legal age is 13, but it depends on how comfortable you are with him, and if you think he is mature enough to handle it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:51 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree you need to look at how well your son handles things and base it off that. I could bt no means give a number with out knowing the kids involved.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:16 AM on May. 5, 2009

• It depends on your son but I'd say 14 or 15 and he should take a CPR class. Twins are alot to handle if theywere to even just wake up much less have a problem. There are to many things that could happen(but probably wouldn't) You just never want to take that chance.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:36 AM on May. 5, 2009

• 13 if he has had a class on babysitting.

Answer by Bmat at 11:48 AM on May. 5, 2009

• My son is 13. I leave him home with both babies age 2 and 5 months. But for no longer then two hours. I make sure both are feed and changed before hand. He knows what to do, as he helps out ALOT with them when I am home, So does DD 15. She started baby sitting for other people at 13. She was left with 2 year old twins, often and she loved it. She said they played the whole time. My son who is 13, plays with two yrd they play the Wii or color, or play cars.
    As long as your son knows how to feed the babies, change the diapers and place them in the swigns/bouncers he should do fine just incase they wake up. Do test runs while you are home. But tell him he needs to do *pretend you are not there and see how he does doing everything for the babies for an hour. If he can handle it then he's ready. Most states say children need to be 12 before being left to attend to other children. Also i would suggest getting him in a CPR class.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 11:48 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Yes i think 13 is the age but you know ur kids use ur judgement.
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 3:15 PM on May. 5, 2009