Perm questions? Help, please?

I have always wanted one of those tight curl perms. Can I do it at home with a perm kit? I can't afford to go and have one done at the salon (besides I'm more of a do-it-yourself kinda gal). What else would I need to get? What if I don't like it, will it wash out or would I be stuck with it for awhile?

I've never gotten a perm myself but my mom has always done the home perms and she's said she'd help me if I chose to.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• You will need perm rods and perm papers too...by the time you add the cost of everything you may want to consider paying someone...if not take a few photos to the beauty supply store and they will be able to help you choose the products to help you achieve the look you want, I would take your mom up on the help offer, your arms will go numb if you try to roll all your hair by yourself! Good Luck...and no it won't wash out, but you can buy an product for the beauty supply store to strip it out !
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 11:33 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Well it isnt going to just wash out. After you do it just wash it a few times to loosen it up. My grandma use to do home perms all the time and it worked for her. Good luck!
    gavinsmoma

Answer by gavinsmoma at 9:36 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Definitely save up and go to a salon! There are sooo many factors that go into perming! I'm a cosmetologist and when in school was in a perm class that was 4 weeks long (8hours a day) NOT including the time spent on the floor doing hair for clients.. The over the counter products are very very strong and can damage your hair to the point where it will fall out. If you don't leave it in long enough, you'l get uneven curls, too long and your hair will be fried. Trust me it is soo soo soo worth getting it done in a salon!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:55 AM on May. 6, 2009