3wk old's fingernails turning purple at base?

Just noticed this last night - My 3wk old's fingernails are turning purple. You know at the bottom of the nail, where the crescent is? He has the crescent, but there's a purple tinge over about half of his tiny nails and up the sides of the nails.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Also: his lips are NOT blue, his skin tone is kinda pale/white, he's pretty alert/active

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 9:49 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I noticed that when I was burping one of our babies (sitting on my lap) when they were little that his fingernails would turn purple. I changed his position and they went back to normal. I guess his little arm was at the wrong angle or something. I would try warming them up though!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 11:07 AM on May. 5, 2009

• might just be a bit cold. warm up his hands and see if they pink up
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:56 AM on May. 5, 2009

• when's his next apt? I would just call your pediatritian and ask just to be safe.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 10:36 AM on May. 5, 2009

• my son does this but he has a lot of heart problems they always tell me to look for purple fingernail and toe nails and is either turn blue then he has to go to the er cause he isnt getting enough oxygen
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 11:15 AM on May. 5, 2009