• In the Spotlight:

Potty training

I have a 2 1/2 yrd at my daycare who is potty training- I haven't had him here long- just a couple weeks. Since he's been here I've noticed he likes to eat/smell his urine or feces. He gets at it any way he can- and as often as he can. So far it's been pretty mild and I haven't mentioned it to mom yet- him being a new kid- but today he did something that has made me wonder if this is something more concerning and I will be mentioning it to his mother tonight. Any thoughts- ideas- suggestions about why he's doing this? This is a new one for me. SaraTMF@gmail.com

DaycareSara

Asked by DaycareSara at 9:50 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that is really really odd.. my daughter used to just put her hand in her diaper and touch her poo to feel it, but then she would be disgusted by it and rush to have it washed off. i'd mention it to his parents asap. that cant be good for his health & probably should have been mentioned sooner. this isn't really something you can have much effect on resolving since he isn't your child, but you can definitely be a great help since you do povide his child care. just offer to keep an extra eye on him while he's in your care and encourage the parents to get him seen by a doctor for health/behavioral reasons. good luck to you all! i hope the little angel breaks this little habit.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:00 AM on May. 10, 2009