Grocery Workers nearing strike.

Does this make anyone else angry? It annoys me because there are so many people without jobs and many more who are accepting pay cuts and other concessions just to keep their jobs. These people think they "deserve more." I know several people who work at these stores and their pay and benefits are far better than mine, and they don't have a bachelor's degree like I do. I work hard for what I earn and I don't demand any more than what I have now. I feel lucky just to still have my job. How do you feel about this? Especially those who have lost jobs or know someone who has.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Here's a link to the story.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=115075&catid=339
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i used to work @ a grocery store & was produce manager, i only made minimum wage and was expected to did through rottone stuff, and bugs and lift up to 60lbs worth of stuff, so yeah, they do deserve higher pay
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm NOT in support of it, and I will cross picket lines
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:11 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Greed is not only for the rich.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on May. 5, 2009

• What grocery store are u referring to? Because where my hubby work his pay is not that great and the benefits we can't afford because it would take one of his paycheck to pay for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on May. 5, 2009

• These are the major chains, King Soopers, Safeway, Kroger
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:17 AM on May. 5, 2009

• They want to increase the wages of a few workers a little bit, and slash everyone's pension. It's a lose/lose proposition, and they should strike, IMO. The changes proposed by the company will benefit nobody but the company--certainly not the workers. Many of those workers have had wages deducted from their checks for their pension every pay period for years, now if they don't strike they will lose it all.

From the link: The union rejected the proposal and says the company's wage increase doesn't reach enough workers across the union and the pension plans face cuts.

"When the company is coming to the table and proposing to slash pension benefits and make wage freezes, workers just can not stand for that," Duran said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Wondering what store myself. My MIL works at a grocery store, makes just above minimum wage, has no benefits (because she is only a part-time employee... who always gets scheduled for 40 hours???? Hmmm. Just another way to keep people from having access to insurance benefits), gets scheduled when she has had on the board that she cannot work on that day for months in advance (but the manager is a piece of scum who doesn't like to do inventory so he schedules others to work that day)... the list goes on and on. But as there are no other jobs here right now, she keeps her junky job just to have some kind of paycheck coming in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Considering I know several people who have lost their jobs, and are still looking, I think it's stupid
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:23 AM on May. 5, 2009