How does anyone afford daycare???

I just got a part-time job (30 hours/wk) and have to put my two children into daycare. This place was the best I could find...3 days $900/month plus I have to provide lunch for both of them and drive 1/2 to get there. That leaves me with $300 a month before gas and expenses....How do you ladies do it?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 10:00 AM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• You might want to reconsider the job. My SO and I work swing shifts. He works the days and I work nights. This is to avoid daycare at all costs.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:05 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I used to do that, but with 2 kids, how do you have the energy in the morning to deal? plus the baby isn't sleeping through the night yet and I get 3 hours of sleep at a time, max. How do you pull it off? Am I being a coward?
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 10:07 AM on May. 5, 2009

• The state I live in offers daycare assistance to low-income families. You might try looking into that. It's incredibly expensive and IMO not worth it. I stay home and we've made adjustments to our way of living.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:07 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I know.... its is insane!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:07 AM on May. 5, 2009

• It seems the only way to pay for daycare is to have a career sort of a job (teacher, doctor, etc). I am able to work part time only because my daughter is in preschool through the school district, so that's half the day, and then we are military so childcare is pretty inexpensive on base. Once my hubby gets out of the military, I will have my masters by then, so I will be able to teach, and shouldn't have a probably paying for civilian daycare.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:09 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i agree i talked to dh and said my whole paycheck would go to daycare might leave me 20 bucks left over and that would go to gas. so defeats the purpose of me working to help out with money. so i am a sahm and dh provides we just sometimes have to go with out the xtras ( like cant buy my candle this week or my purfume ) and my dh work hours are long from 5am to about 7-8pm. so its hard to get a job to work with his hours. so i do understand your post its costly and hard. i wish you luck hunny.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i only spend 300.00 a month in daycare.. we have this plan at work and it gos on this card, so it comes out before i see it.. if not i would be SOL
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 10:16 AM on May. 5, 2009

• That's why I am stay at home mom. When I worked part-time and after paying for child care the money left wasn't really worth it to us. Plus, someone else was with my kids more then a was in a day and that bothered me. Now I am a demonstrator with Gold Canyon and I work at home part-part-part time. Anytime I do work it is around our schedule and when I want to! I work way less then I am with my children so I still consider myself a SAHM and not a WAHM.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 10:18 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Sometimes I wonder how we do it to. I provide the health insurance and there is pretty much nothing left after that gas and daycare, but my kids having good health care is very important to me. We also don't believe in accepting aid when we can both work and provide for our own children we decided to have.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 10:20 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Yep, that's how it is! I refuse to work just to pay someone else to raise my kids. Better off staying home, tightening up your budget a bit and be the one to enjoy your own children. Besides, I feel so sorry for little ones who get dumped off into daycare every day. Kids want to be in their own home, playing with their own toys, napping in their own beds, being raised by their own parent. I think it must be a very lonely childhood for those who spend their whole day every day away from their families, especially their moms, stuck in a room with a bunch of other kids where they have to struggle just to survive in that kind of setting. Kids weren't meant to have to deal with that kind of emotional trauma at that age. Why have kids if all you're gonna do is leave them all alone in a daycare center day after day? They grow up knowing that money was more important to their parents than they were ... how sad...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on May. 5, 2009