Spacing Vaccines Out?

For moms who are delaying vaccines I was wondering if you could give us an idea (to moms-to-be) on how can we space vaccines out?

The schedule requires for the the first year that the baby receives 16 vaccines. I'm not including the MMR, Varicella, neither Hepatitis A which are given after the 1 year with the other "boosters". I've already lost count!

Anyhow for moms who can delay the vaccines how did you do it?

How are you meeting the government requirements for your baby in the first year? Did your baby get the 16 shots or more in the first year or you have a different schedule? Do you or your Doctor decides which ones to give or delay?

Thank you so much for any input!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We held off on vaccines until our daugher was one. Did one shot per visit. Had the doctor order single dose preservative free vaccines. Read the insert before allowing any shots to be given.
    Vaxing is a huge decision; I urge you to read all sides and draw your own conclusion.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:42 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I know a few moms who have done this, and it's not an issue untill they start school. So space them out if you need to!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:09 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Thank you zaky
    I'm hoping to get information about how many shots should a baby get each visit?
    Should the shots be given every two months or every 4,5,6 months.

I'm not happy with the idea of having my son given two shots on each thigh...I was planning to tell the doctor to only give one at the time but I don't know if he will not take my concerns seriously. If I could hear from other moms perhaps I could be more prepared when I walk into the pediatrician office.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Well hopefully some other moms will have advice on HOW to space them out. I didn't with my kids, so i'm clueless lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:16 AM on May. 5, 2009

• When I worked in a pedi's office we spaced them one month apart for those who wanted to space and wait. You might want to call around there may be a pedi in your area that does this. We have one in Orlando that will space and sometimes not give at all.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:24 AM on May. 5, 2009

• We have one in Orlando that will space and sometimes not give at all.

thank you coala I'm also clueless about the vaccines (there should be some kind of workshop for moms-to-be about vaccines :-)).

Can I ask if you know what are the vaccines that doctors don't give at all?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I understand your concern but have to say I tried this and it's not a good idea. The health dept. will not let your child have too many close together unless they are sure it's safe. It's a good schedule. Most inportantly waiting is tougher on the child because they know the pain is real as they get older and then it's tougher on you to watch and more difficult to deal.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 11:46 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Check out the book by Dr. Sears "The Vaccine Book". It has suggestions to an alternative schedule.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:19 PM on May. 5, 2009

• The governement only makes RECOMMENDATIONS as to what vaccines are needed and when. Ultimately the parent has the choice of when or even IF they vaccinate their child.

Dr. Sears book is good. Personally we don't vaccinate becuase my son had a severe reaction to DTaP that almost killed him. My children are in state funded daycare and will be going to public school with a religious exemption for my daughter and medical exemption for my son.

Check out mothering.com for some good advice on alternative schedules also.
    Anonymous