HELP....

my husband keeps 800.oo allowance a month....when he gets his hair done or dry cleaning ,,its not included in that ..(he takes it out of our checking) he commutes 30 min 5 days a week,,,,eats breakfast and lunch out everyday..then buys alot of lottery..when i complain he gets real defensive,,,,am i wrong for being so upset? we have 3 school-aged kids we could use this $$

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I don't know your income situation but 800 a month is alot of money to me. If that includes paying for gas maybe it is necessary. BUT why can't he eat breakfast at home? It will save money as well as be healthier for him. I would be upset if he was spending money on lottery tickets if your family could use the money. I know my DH complains that he works all the time so he deserves to have spending money. I get that but it irritates me he says he needs new clothes and will spend extra money on beer making supplies instead. Men can really be selfish and stupid. Good luck to ya!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on May. 5, 2009

• You are not wrong....you are a stay at home mom I am assuming....I am too....I (from experience) have learned that some (not all) men feel that we don't do anything b/c we stay home....which is not true at all...I was beginning to feel the same way you do. My husband does not keep money back from me but he has on occasion made comments about not having any of his own money and it hurts my feelings. So I decided to start looking for something that I could do to make some extra money from home...then I could have some extra cash...pay an extra bill or whatever. I love what I do now. I get to be home with my kids and make some extra money on the side! Just because you aren't working...does not mean that it should all be his...you are married and in a good relationship everything should always be equal!! If you would ever be interested in making your own extra money let me know. We have an awesome special this month! Good luck!
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 10:39 AM on May. 5, 2009

• God you are nice. I budget for my husband's gas and cigarettes. He eats breakfast and lunch at home. I make him coffee in a travel styrofoam cup every day. He gets $20 a week for snacks and soda and stuff. His "allowance" I guess would be $100 a month. If he needs shoes or clothes, or whatever, I work that into the budget. I also get $100 for my own stuff each month. Just like snacks, drinks, magazines, whatever. I usually only spend about 1/3 of it at most. I understand that he can't really eat lunch at home, but couldn't he pack a lunch? Or hell, ask you to pack for him if he has a hard time leaving for work on time? Sit down and talk to him about how his spending is having a negative impact on your children. I mean, if they are going without so he can spend his money on crap, then something needs to change.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:46 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Goodness, that is almost what I make in a month! My DH keeps $25 dollars a week. This is for if him and his brothers end up going to the movies or out to eat or something. If he doesn't use it the one week he doesn't take out more the next week. He only does it because I keep the check book and if he has cash he doesn't have to call me all the time and "ask permission" to buy something. I guess he doesn't want to call me in front of his brothers to make sure it is all right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on May. 5, 2009

• It should be equal, you guys have 3 children to raise. It's just depending on your income.
    PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 11:14 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Has he always been selfish and controlling or is this new? You two really need to sit down with a counselor and work this through. If he won't go, please go yourself.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:51 PM on May. 5, 2009