Daily Routine Help?

I am a SAHM with a 23 month old. I stayed at home for the first 13 months and then put him in daycare until 20 months. After missing him too much I went back to being at home and at first things were really great, but slowly and surely we have fallen into a bottomless pit of negativy activity. I can't seem to get anything done around the house because he's always dismantling something while I'm cleaning something up. I've tried to do a routine several times but find that each time I end up centering everything in the day around keeping him entertained and by nap time I'm too worn out myself to do any household chores. Ideally I'd like for us to go about our day in harmony, taking time to do both things he likes and I need to do in unison, but I'm not getting that result. I know he's a 2 year old boy and these things are simply in his nature, but I also know moms out there get things accomplished, so how do you do it?

jacksmama257

Asked by jacksmama257 at 10:27 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is your house child proofed? if he's getting into things he shouldn't, then they should be put up out of his reach. my nephew loved helping me with some of the chores i did around the house when i babysat him, and now my 16 mo daughter tries to help me. it will; make each chore a bit longer, but much more fun and the child gets involved as well. i have swiffer for in-between moppings, and after i'd get the floor swept, i'd let him take the swiffer and run it over the floor- he thought it was the best thing ever! my daughter pulls up a chair while i'm washing dishes and swishes her hands around int he water. the floor gets a little wet, but she has a ball dumping water into the sink with a measuring cup- and her laugh is infectious! just find some way he can "help" and ignore the fact that it might take you longer. that's what being a mom is about!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:46 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree with MaMaLaLa. And when all else fails, get a gate system, put him in room he can roam free in, and do the rest of the house. Then do that room while he is napping or having a snack.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:00 AM on May. 5, 2009

• We have the northstate xt playyard. Actually bought it for big brothers baseball season, but ended using it at home. Most anywhere in the house is safe for my 14 month old, but she isn't allowed in big brothers room.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:02 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Thanks for the answers, and I have done a lot of those things. The house is kid proofed but I think we've sort of shot ourselves in the foot with that because we've done the entire living room and hall area, but the other rooms are not baby accessible and when he follows me into the rooms he's just in a candyland of stuff to disrupt (not dangerous necessarily, just new stuff to check out in his own unique (destructive, lol) way. I have also tried to get him involved in things but it seems that he doesn't have much interest usually. Before I can entrance him in what I'm doing, he's found something I'd prefer he not do and is mindset on that as his activity, so then I'm stuck being bad cop and still not getting anything done. Could anybody give me some play by plays of their days with kids this age, times and activities and what each person does?
    jacksmama257

Answer by jacksmama257 at 11:07 AM on May. 5, 2009

• My son is 2 and also very active. We've gated the family room/kitchen area which is where we spend most of our time. Typically he gets about 30 minutes of playtime on nis own or TV (PBS shows like Sesame Street and Wordword) while I get a chance to eat, do small cleanup tasks, put in laundry, etc. Then he eats breakfast and will usually play in his highchair (Lega, playdoh, etc) for a while. He plays in our bedroom while I take a shower. This usually gets us to around 10. I almost always either take him outside or head off to run errands (I try to tie in some playtime either at the mall's play area or a playground). We either eat while we're out or come back to have lunch. Then down for a nap for between 90 minutes and 2 hrs. This is my time to either rest or clean/laundry. When he gets up we play, ideally outside. I have a highschooler who comes 2 hrs a week to give me time. My husband takes over at night so I get time.
    Anonymous

• Try to do a little house work during meal time and snack time. Put him in his high chair with a cartoon or favorite video with his snack and that should give you at least 15 min. to get something done. I know what you are saying about needing to use his nap time for your nap time. Just do it and don't worry so much about the house work. If you let it go then you will be a happier mommy. Ask your husband to give you a hand with something when he gets home. I have had many conversations with my husband about this, eventually they get that you will be nicer if they help out with the kitchen. Not everybody stays on top of their house work daily. Try to get our son involved in helping you do little things like folding laundry and sweeping the kitchen. Give your son a cupboard to play in or a big bowl of water and spoons he can play with in the kitchen while you clean.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is only 14 months old, so my schedule will be different then you may want. She gets up around 6, eats breakfast, we get dressed, brush teeth, and wash up. Generally by then it is time to take big brother to school. We get back about 8. She and I sit and play together until about 8:30, then we lay down for a nap until 10. She gets a snack and then gets half an hour of Sprout tv. Then she gets "free play" by herself. Lunch at about 11:45. Then we play some more. Around 1:30 she goes down for her second nap of the day. That lasts until about 2:30. I sleep during the first nap, during the second, I clean. It never takes an hour for me to do what I need to do except on my days off, but then my husband and I take care of it after he gets off work. At 2:45 we leave to get big brother from school. She plays on her own when we get back while I help with homework and spend some time with big brother.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:39 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Around 4:30-5:00 she gets a snack and then my husband comes home. He plays with the kids while I get ready for work, I go in at 6. Dinner is around 6:30 most nights. Big brother plays with baby while he cooks. After dinner, the kids can play together or alone whatever they choose, until 7:30. Then they start getting ready for bed. Baby gets a story while big brother is in the shower, then she gets a bath. Lotion, pjs, brushing teeth. Big brother then reads to baby before bed. At 8:30 both kids are in bed most nights. Sometimes, baby is being difficult and isn't in bed until 9. Hope that helps.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:42 PM on May. 5, 2009