Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could this be an allergic reaction?

This morning, Savannah was eating part of my boiled egg for breakfast. She's been eating eggs for awhile now with no problems. Right after she ate this morning, I noticed she had 3-4 small red welpy looking marks around her mouth and chin. They were dark enough they were obvious, but about 10-15 minutes later, they just faded away.

The only other thing she was eating was a banana which she loves and has never had a problem with either. Could this be an allergic reaction?? thanks

 
toodlebug

Asked by toodlebug at 10:57 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Yes, this could be an allergic reaction! My son was eating some scrambled eggs and got a few hives on his face, but they were gone before I could get to the drugstore to buy some Benadryl. I questioned myself and wondered if I really saw them. We waited about 6 months before letting him have egg again. This time we had the benadryl and his dose just in case. I also was friends with our doctor, so I had her home number. He had an eraser size bite of egg and within 60 seconds, hives appeared from head to toe. I gave him the benadryl and he was fine. We didn't give him egg after that. He still had bread, cake and ranch dressing like he'd always had with no problem. Just no "plain egg."
    Then we took him to the allergist. He got a skin test and was positive for egg. The doctor said that each time we let him have products with egg or made on equipment with egg, we were #1 playing russian roulette with anaphylaxis and #2
    LCmomof2

    Answer by LCmomof2 at 11:14 AM on May. 5, 2009

  • continued, #2 we were reducing his chances of outgrowing this allergy (not good).

    I would really tell you to see an allergist and get him skin tested. It doesn't hurt and it is over quickly. We carry an Epi pen with us everywhere, just in case. I have heard too many stories of kids having anaphylactic reactions and dying. An epi could have saved their lives.

    Remember, they don't have a reaction at the first exposure, it is a subsequent exposure. Good luck. Message me if you have any questions. :)
    LCmomof2

    Answer by LCmomof2 at 11:17 AM on May. 5, 2009

  • I agree with LCmomof2. Have him tested. Remember, even you can develop a food allergy at any point in your life.
    kaycee14

    Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • Thank you so much. I have never seen her do that before and I have a friend whose son is allergic to what seems like everything, After seeing pics of her son after his reactions, this looked similar but much much much much much more milder. I am going to see if it happens again in the morning... if so I will call her pediatrician and have her checked out.
    toodlebug

    Answer by toodlebug at 12:47 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • You will have to let us know what happens :)
    LCmomof2

    Answer by LCmomof2 at 10:13 PM on May. 7, 2009

  • Goodness. I am so behind, and I am so sorry. It wasn't an allergic reaction. We have no idea what it was but it definately wasn't an allergy. She hasn't done it again since so I don't know. Just glad it wasn't allergy! :)
    toodlebug

    Answer by toodlebug at 10:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

Next question in Toddlers (1-2)
Daily Routine Help?

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))
Nursing pads...