Any suggestions on getting a willful 15 year old girl out of bed and to school on time?

My daughter is a night owl. Mornings are not her best time. Spending time in detention does not seem to bother her very much.

simmock

Asked by simmock at 11:23 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would say if she is late you take stuff away from her at home...don't let detention be the only punishment. Is her dad there to help? I tell my dd that is she isn't ready when it is time to go that I will take her to school as she looks at 7:45. If that is wet hair in pajamas...so be it. But she is small enough I could drag her there...at 15 you may need dad to drag LOL. I would make her have lights out by 10..no tv..only let her read so she will go to sleep.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:28 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I bought an alarm clock that was SO loud and played the bugle music that the military uses to wake their guys (at least they do in the movies!). I figured if I had to be up (I hate mornings too) then she had to get up and she did. She complained about it but she did.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:31 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Teenagers go through a "reversal of sleep". They want to sleep all day and up all night. High school should start a 12:00 PM and end a 6:00 PM. Get her off the phone, the computer, the ipod, the video game. Make her get up by 8:00 AM on the weekends and to bed by 10:00 - this maintains a sleep schedule. Make her do some chores that require physical labor and makes her tired. Regulate her food intake and eliminate any food which keeps you up - especially the caffeine after 6:00 PM. All of my guys were "night owls" that verged on insomnia. She has to be willing to be a part of this, but she is only 15. Be firm and insist.

sweeping

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:06 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Yup get a whistle and keep blowing until she gets up.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 3:11 PM on May. 5, 2009

• This is normal for teens. That said, it is about time that she took responsiblity for herself. She should have an alarm clock (across the room so she can't roll over and hit the snooze button) and get herself up, dressed and fed. She should be penalized for being late; we cancel text messages for a few days when necessary. No fighting or arguing. You are the parent, you set the rules, she follows them. She can certainly move out at 18 if she doesn't like them.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:10 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Wake her up 5 minutes before the bus comes/you drive her to school. Let her see how she feels going to school without a shower, or in her pajamas.
    Anonymous

• Frozen vegtables work well. I did this to my daughter. Just placed that bag of frozen veggies on her nice warm back, and she was out of bed in a flash......:)
    rptyner

Answer by rptyner at 2:15 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My 15 year old is was like this. Every morning it seemed to be where it's was a fight to get her up and out the door for school. Finally, I reached my limit with her attitude once she was awake that I told her bedtime was back down at 7:30pm every night, no computer, no phone, no texting etc until she can start getting up in the morning without it becoming a scream fest or without all the attitude. At first she was "I don't care, lock me in my room etc", but by the 3rd morning, she started going back to the sweet kid I recognized.

You have to find something that works for you and stick to it. I knew my daughters attitude was because of her not getting enough sleep, she is like me in that respect, I tend to get bitchy if I don't get enough sleep. I also took away the things she loves, it's her lifeline to her friends, without that, "OMG, she was going to die (not literally)" or shape up." She chose to shape up.
    3spoiledkidsmom

Answer by 3spoiledkidsmom at 11:48 PM on May. 9, 2009