Does having twins increase with each pregnancy?

I have had several miscarriages and was wondering if this pregnancy lasts do I have a higher chance of twins? I know my age puts me in a higher bracket for twins, I wasn't thinking much of it till now...I am 33.

I am hoping I can find out at my 6 week ultrasound. Will the tech be able to see more than one baby at that time?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 11:34 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, having a large family increases the chance of fraternal twins. The reason this is believed to be true is that with each pregnancy you are suppressing ovulation- so when you ARE fertile, there are more potential follicles still in your ovaries to be released and possibly mature.
    :-)
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 12:25 PM on May. 5, 2009

• In almost all cases they can tell if it's twins by 6 weeks, the one exception is if they are overlapping each other and their heart beats are in sync. You could ask the u/s tech (or your dr.) to check more closely because you have a feeling that it might be twins.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:40 AM on May. 5, 2009

• u also get higher chances of the amount of kids u have. i have 7 total..pregnant again and this time with twins. there are no twins in both of our families either..that we know of.
    Anonymous

• I wanted to add that my twins were picked up on ultrasound at 7 weeks- a few days before the OB "thought" she saw something, but couldnt really tell until 7 weeks exactly.
    Here are my earlier ultrasounds of my twins. I have them as a video so no one tries to steal and modify the photos. (weirdos here on cafemom do that... they black out your name and put in their own and claim the photos are theirs.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np3m7DwqdX4&feature=channel_page
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 12:28 PM on May. 5, 2009