How do I admit to my husband that I'm depressed?

I just feel silly saying those words. I don't want to admit it to anyone, but I know I need to at least tell my husband.

I don't want to go on anti depressants either because I've had a bad experience with them and I don't want to go through that again, so I'll need his support even more if I'm not going to use those.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• just sit him down and explain to him, that you're depressed and why.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 11:39 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i know how you feel, after having my dd I think I was depressed and I had to suffer through it alone. Please do not go through it alone. He may be relieved to hear you say it, thinking he doesn't know what is wrong, or how to help you. Im sure he has noticed you are not the same. he loves you and would want to help, just tell him how he can help you. Tell him you have noticed your not feeling the same and that you want to see someone about it because you think it is depression and that you need his support.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:42 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Tell him you feel like you are sad all the time and you feel like you're losing yourself. You would like some help and want his support.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:42 AM on May. 5, 2009

• It may (or may not) be evident already. I agree with the first poster though and just sit him down and talk to him. I hope he's understanding. Depression is no joke.
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 11:43 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I have been feeling depressed myself lately. I have not told anyone either and i don't want to take pills again. Maybe you could talk to a therapist. They help alot!
    tinaaly

Answer by tinaaly at 11:44 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Tell him. And be prepared to tell him what you would like for him to do or not do to help.

Answer by Bmat at 11:45 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Hi,

I have something much better for you to consider to get rid of the depression...at least try it for a couple of weeks and see if it helps. I'm sorry to give advice, when you are not really asking, but this is urgent. You don't want to start getting that diagnosis on your records...it can cause problems later. Instead, get some Shaklee B-Complex or Tri-Vita's sublingual B6 and B12. Or take both. It sounds like you are deficient in that vitamin or some other nutrients.

I can help you figure this out. Tell me about your diet. You might also be experiencing hypoglycemia (low blood sugar, low glucose) which feels terrible emotionally because low blood sugar does not support a more objective mental outlook on life. There are lots of medical reasons for feeling so down....let's work through those first...easy to resolve and no anti-depressants are needed.

Better to put "food" into the brain tissues, not drugs!
    Mom401

Answer by Mom401 at 11:55 AM on May. 5, 2009

• P.S. from Mom401

I trained in psychology and counseled professionally for years, also. If the nutrients restoring balance do not totally resolve the problem, then it might be time to seek free counseling from those who are trained in it...larger evangelical churches usually provide that service and they can be a great help in unraveling things that have led to your feeling so down. It is surprising how easily some issues can be resolved. That would be the time to bring your husband into it when the counselor is ready. It sounds like you are a bit hesitant to tell him so I would get support to back you up...the counselor can explain it in terms your husband might accept more easily. You are doing great to even be thinking about taking the initiative to resolving it. Proud of you!
    Mom401

Answer by Mom401 at 12:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Make sure you talk to your ob/gyn. Is it post partum or are your kids older? Depression untreated is lethal. Please don't feel weird about telling the truth it's best for you & all the people that surround you. Look for anything that helps. I too am not a friend of pills. Tried them all so far & nada, but if a new one comes out I would try it. 30 years of depression ....I really don't know why I am still here other than a tremendous understanding best friend of a husband. Good luck to you & never give up the fight for happiness.
    aajsluckymommy

Answer by aajsluckymommy at 12:38 PM on May. 5, 2009