My five year old son cries at the drop of a hat.

He cries over everything! Sometimes I don't even know why he's crying, but it happenes like ten times a day. Instant tears that he can't control. Last night he didn't want the supper I cooked, (I expected this because he's never liked that particular meal) So Dad heated up left over pork chops, which the boy said he wanted, and cried because the peices were too big. (They were normal sized..) and then he cried because he didn't get ranch dressing. He cries as if he had been hurt, and then he cried because his father didn't put the ranch dressing on the plate right. ???? He's like this all the time, about everything. Even putting on shoes makes him cry, because he feels it's too hard. These tears are real, and he's very, very upset. He's not acting, at least, not yet. But it really bothers me that my son is an emotional wreck, and I can't seem to figure out why.

McGregor

Asked by McGregor at 11:46 AM on May. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My oldest is the same way. He is super sensitive...his dad was, too as a kid. I feel for you , it is frustrating and frankly a little embarrassing to the parents...at least it was to me. When he would cry over nothing when we were out in public I was worried that people would think I was abusing him. I mean what kid cries because you have to tie his shoe in the grocery store...Ummm Mine did.
    Anyway, My LO is now ten and has outgrown most of it. He gets upset still but not nearly as much as he did when he was younger.
    Big hugs Momma you are doing a Good Job.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:18 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I am intereted in the answer to this one too because I have a 4 year old daughter who is the same way. Super sensitive... if she is putting her shoes on and has the slightest bit of trouble- she freaks out, cries and yells "I cant do it!"
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 12:38 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Thank God I am not alone!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:48 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Mine does this.. Just this morning he was crying cause his little brother ran off with his underwear before he could put them on... Its crazy, i thought only girls did this, but im guessing not.. I hope this is a faz cause i cant take this crying baby crap ALL summer long..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:44 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i would try explaining to him/her (very calmly and firmly but not mean) that crying 20xs a days over things like that isn't acceptable. Sounds like they are confused about how they are feeling and fall back on a default emotion. Try to get your child to talk more about what is bothering him/her. It could be something completely different than what is being presented.
    etniesalpha

Answer by etniesalpha at 7:26 PM on May. 5, 2009

• We tried reasoning with him...Damn we tried everything we could think of. The only thing that really worked was him growing out of it.
    We just made sure to try and schedule things out of the house at times when he would be rested and have a full belly...because those things really contributed to his crying fits.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:57 PM on May. 5, 2009

• yeah.... i can get crabby when i'm hungry too. hang in there. stay positive
    etniesalpha

Answer by etniesalpha at 8:21 PM on May. 5, 2009

• We should start a support group for moms with crybaby kids!! Some days I want to throw my daughter out of the window. She cries all the time. I don't even know why she cries most of the time. Sometimes, she doesn't even know why she's crying. We have told her that while it's ok to feel & show emotions, there is no way that she should be crying so much. We have explained to her that when she cries so much, it doesn't mean as much to us as it would if she only cried, say, oh, once a day or so. Then when she really should be crying, we don't even want to hear it because it's all we've been hearing. Making sure she's not tired or hungry helps it not to get way out of control. Now if she's just crying, we send her to her room to cry it out. Sometimes she actually sops crying to stay with the rest of the family. I'm just waiting for her to outgrow it. Good luck to all of us!!!

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:11 PM on May. 7, 2009