• In the Spotlight:

How do I tell my friend?

So I have been through a lot lately. I suffered a miscarriage very recently and lost my grandmother whom I was close to the following week. Needless to say, I am emotionally exhausted. My best friend is also pregnant and we were supposed to be due within weeks of each other. She is constantly emailing me- talking about how healthy her baby is, how happy she is, how she is feeling the baby kick, etc. She even told me that she went to her doctor after my miscarriage cause she was afraid she was going to "be like me". I feel she is being insensitive, but I also know she is just not thinking about what she is saying or how it sounds. How do I tell her I don't really want to hear it right now without sounding harsh? I am sure I will get to a point where I will want to share in her happiness, just not right now. I don't want to say anything I will regret later.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• I'd tell her that I was very happy that her baby is healthy and you're so glad that she's happy but right now you're going thru the grief of losing your child, and your Grandmother and you're sorry but you can't share in the joy right now.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Maybe you can tell her that it is just too hard to hear about her pregnancy so soon after your loss. I know that I didn't want to be near anyone after my loss that was pregnant and I was very angry towards pregnant people and avoided them as much as possible.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 11:52 AM on May. 5, 2009

• ditto

Answer by admckenzie at 11:55 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Tell her that you wish her well but that your own recent losses have left you unable to think about what she is telling you about her pregnancy.

Answer by Bmat at 11:55 AM on May. 5, 2009