Does anyone know when the doctors are able to tell you what sex your child is?

I am on my second child. i will be 17 weeks on Friday May 5th. i have an appointment on that and wanted to know if anyone knew if they would be able to tell what i am having.

SeansMommy68

Asked by SeansMommy68 at 11:49 AM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Usually not until around 20 weeks. But they might be able to tell at your appointment, if you're having and ultra-sound.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 11:50 AM on May. 5, 2009

• i found out at 15 weeks with this pregnancy and my 1st at 16 weeks.. but they like too wait 16 to 22 wks
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 11:50 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Usually the doctors determine the sex of the baby by Ultrasound...usually you can tell by 20 weeks. Not too often can you tell earlier and sometimes the baby doesn't cooperate at 20 weeks and keeps you still guessing what he or she is. Good luck and congratulations.
    lilowe

Answer by lilowe at 11:52 AM on May. 5, 2009

• I found out when I was 16 weeks I think it depends on the baby and the ultra sound technician... but you can ask and see what they say... good luck momma!
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 11:59 AM on May. 5, 2009

• They can sometimes tell at your 4 month ultrasound/doctor visit as long as the baby is cooperating. I found out my son, who is now almost 5 years old was a boy at 16 weeks!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:59 AM on May. 5, 2009

• My doc said not to trust the U/S until 18 weeks at the earliest because until then the sex can look to much the same. She said that alot of time when people were told one sex and got the other this is what happened. That they had the u/s too early too tell.
    I would wait. I know it is hard...I have done it three times.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:04 PM on May. 5, 2009

• they told me mine at 15 weeks.. they were wrong :(
    Anonymous

• i find out this friday when i'm 19 weeks. They told me they wouldn't schedule it any earlier than that.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 12:19 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i was 16w and 1 day when i found out i was having a boy...i think boys are esier to spot.lol
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 12:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I know the private parts are officially there and formed at 16 weeks. But my doctor never did the first sonagram until I was 20 weeks with my first and it was a boy and you could see his penis big time. This current pregnancy I got a sonagram at 19 weeks and he says its a girl so he better be right or I'll be sooo mad.
    bisbeesmiley

Answer by bisbeesmiley at 1:09 PM on May. 5, 2009