I have a question regarding car seat laws.

My 4 and 5 year old are in booster seats- they use our vans safety belts in conjunction with these seats. I was recently told that Ohio had passed a law that ALL kids under 4'9 had to be in a seat that had a 5 point harness system. There is no way I'll get my daughters to agree to that. They are both tall for their ages as it is, and we have issues with them whining about the booster seats already.

I have 3 other kids that are already in carseats and one more on the way. Our van doesnt have the space for 6 CAR SEATS- but 4 carseats and 2 boosters fit fine. I'm wondering if there is any validity to this law or if someone could direct me to accurate information pertaining to it.

I tried asking 2 different police officers that are friends with my husband yesterday and neither one of them knows at all. (eek!) lol

MamaCarterof5

Asked by MamaCarterof5 at 11:54 AM on May. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ohio state law requires that children under four years old and under 40 pounds must ride in a car seat or booster that is appropriate for the child's age and weight. Ohio state law also states that the car seat must be used according to manufacturer's instructions.
    Beginning October 7, 2009, Ohio also requires that children ages four through seven who are less than 4'9" tall must ride in a federally approved booster seat.

Children through age 15 must wear a seat belt or be secured in an appropriate child restraint system.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:58 AM on May. 5, 2009

• no they have to be in a child resistant seat or a booster seat until 4'9 or 8 years old. My daughter was out of a car seat at 3 and a half though so I just put her back into one she is 4 now and in a booster seat the straps doesn't fit around her sholders she is really tall for her age so she is in a booster seat. It doesn't achually start until October is what my girls doctor told us.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:58 AM on May. 5, 2009

• This is the most current law on the Ohio Web site. Hope it helps
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:59 AM on May. 5, 2009

• Ohhhhh ok, so beginning in October, the booster seat is just now a law instead of a suggestion, correct? Because I dont think it was a law that they HAD to be in one before. So essentially... nothing will change. They will just have to stay in their booster seats now BY LAW, until they are 4'9 or ages 8 and over.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 12:02 PM on May. 5, 2009

• correct
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:10 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Thanks for helping clear that up. I was peeved at how I was gonna fit another carseat into my van. Lol - not to mention fighting with my five year old.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 12:20 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My doctor's office had flyers up about the new law--it said exactly what you stated. The 4'9" and so many pounds....I didn't really pay attention though cause my babies both still need to be in carseats lol...
    calebsmama713

Answer by calebsmama713 at 2:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

• the kids have to be 49'' or 60 pound. to get out of the buster seats I know becuase of my 5 and 4 and a 4 month ols kids.
    tresitag

Answer by tresitag at 1:37 AM on May. 6, 2009