Does anyone else think that a marriage cerfitiacte is just a piece of paper?

IMO it doesnt make us any less of a family not having one and in the long run makes things easier if things dont work out.. Its also an unnecasry waste of $... JMO.. does anyone else feel this way?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 12:07 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• It can be. It all depends on your beliefs. I personally could careless but the Army believes differently. You must be married to live together and to have the insurance so we got married so he could be in the military and I could be with him. If he hadn't joined we would eventually get married but we love each other so why not.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:10 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I think it depends on the individual. I dont think that is just a piece of paper. I work very hard at my marriage, and dont give myself the option of "oh well if it doesn't work out. . ." too many people dont try hard enough in their marriages and just give up, or dont give consideration to who they are marrying before they do it. So many people are caught up in the ceremony, and then dont know what the hell they have gotten themselves into after the fact.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:11 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I do not view a marriage certificate as
    just a piece of paper.
    It means more to me than that.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:12 PM on May. 5, 2009

• No I don't.

If you are already figuring a way out of the relationship to make it easier on yourself down the road then don't get married. Marriage is often seen by some as something they only want to be in during the good times. Most people don't wanna tough it out when things suck. If you believe that marriage is only based on the paper it's written on then it is a waste to you so you shouldn't be married. But on the other hand, common law isn't the same as being married so don't consider yourself married either. It's offensive to everyone else who is married and has the certificate.

There are those that still believe that marriage is a rite of passage, it's a formal and religious commitment in front of friends, family and before God. It's not a piece of paper. It's the promise to be faithful and support each other no matter what happens.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• No I don't.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:16 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It is a piece of paper... BUT you have to have it, in my situation at least. My then boyfriend joined the navy, so we got married so we could stay together.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 12:17 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I don't see it as a piece of paper. But I do see it as a legal binding contract. And there are certain perks that a man and woman have when they enter into that contract. But it shouldn't make or break a relationship.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 12:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I think when people say "it's just a piece of paper" they know they will never marry the person they're with so they start to find ways to justify it, and deal with it!! I guarantee if there guys asked them to marry them they'd say yes in a heartbeat!!. I bet it wouldn't be a piece of paper then.

Anonymous

• Totally agree with anon 12:36
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:37 PM on May. 5, 2009

• actaully anon thats not true in my case, he has asked me and i DO love him.. i just dont want to get married..
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 12:38 PM on May. 5, 2009