Is it okay to punish my son by

not letting him goto school, if he does not get up on his own in the mornings, he is 16 in high school, has 4 fails out of 6 classes, and expects us to wake him every morning, he has always had a problem getting up in the morning, even with 4 alarms he never hears them, and stays asleep...so i figured i start not taking him to school, if he cares and he missed 2 days ths week 2 days last week is that cruel, what can i do ADVISE..thanks ahead

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• do no keep him home alot of teenagers will get use to it and take advantage of it
    Anonymous

• Yeah that will teach him. he apparently doesn't care for school so let him sleep in so he can fail out and repeat the year. He will eventually have a truancy officer who will monitor his schooling and if not the school can kick him out for the remainder of his school years. Letting him stay home does nothing and apparently you have not taught him responsibility yet. He is old enough to take care of getting up on his own. Make him take responsibility for his actions, don't take him but wake him up and make him walk to school while you follow. Your his parent so act like it.
    Anonymous

• I think that you can get in big trouble for that...I could be wrong I have much younger children...I would make him get up. You are his parent and you have a responsibility.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:20 PM on May. 5, 2009

• If he is failing 4 out of 6 classes it sounds like he needs to be in school. You aren't punishing him by not taking him, I'm sure he's happy as can be to not go. If he has four alarms and can't hear them yes you need to wake him up.
    Anonymous

• just start to ignore his habits.
    Anonymous

• My son has ADD so the responsibility and, consequences have been taught, but when a child, has been doing this since 4th grade and has not been able to ride a bike, or play outside because of this you start to wonder if you are being to hard, you take everything awat from tv, to sunlight and it dont face them, come on.... im a parents not a sargent...ADD should not be the matter here either, but unless your i have perfect children mother you wont understand
    Anonymous

• when he does not go to school he stays home to do the things hes going to do growing up, clean the yard, weed, clean the bathrooms, take trash out, clean the dog area, clean the garage, pick up dog poops, its his future i tell him if he dont shape up, and that dont face him, its 105 degrees where i live you would think, that he would not want to be in the heat, cleaning yard, but that dont face him......hes a good kid, but hes like numb, nothing bothers him
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first two anons.
    Letting him stay home is not punishment. My husband parents were like that and he dropped out of school..twice!
    Kick his ass and make him go. Take away privileges to get him to buck up and become responsible.
    WHen I was a junior in HS I ditched most of my classes, The school would send home notes about my missing class and I would throw them away before my parents saw them. The school also called everyday in the afternoon it was a prerecorded message. I always made sure to answer the phone. My parents had no idea. That summer My parents got a letter from the school saying if I missed more than 10 classes in the entire year they wouldn't let me graduate. OMG My dad threatened to go to every class with me if he got one report that I wasn't going. He called the school every week to make sure I wasn't skipping class. I knew he would do it, so i didn't mess around any more.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:46 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Continued...
    I even missed ditching for senior ditch day. I was so bummed but I sure didn't miss anymore classes.
    Find some horrible consequence and stick to it. He needs to learn now that he needs to be responsible.
    Good luck Momma...This is a hard time for sure.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:49 PM on May. 5, 2009

• NO! If that gets out, there won't be a kid in the nation who gets up on time for school. We get our kids up. Heck, we get each other up. Being part of a family unity means that we do stuff like that. My 14 yo likes to talk a couple of minutes after we wake him up. He will also set his own clock and get up early to study sometimes. Getting him up isn't a chore for you. Work on the grades and don't worry so much about who wakes up whom.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:00 PM on May. 5, 2009