How can I lose weight if i have a bad back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Health

• Work out, get on a good diet. Start by walking and then start with some light weights and cardio you can do swimming and the elliptical machines which wont put as much stress on your back.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Portion control, eat what you like but only small portions. Cut out white bread, white rice, potatoes, white sugar, baked desserts other than fruits, no ice cream, candy, cookies. All my favorites, of course. LOL! As for exercise, if you can't walk, then swimming, perhaps? Can you stand for any length of time? A light aerobics class, as long as you watch what you do. Cycling may work, depending on the injury. Have you been to a doctor about your back? Physical Therapy? I hope that you can get some help for your pain. I have back pain from an accident I was in where a young lady hit my car from behind while I was stopped at a stop sign. But I had previously had lower back pain that got fixed when I took an exercise class that included stretches and back presses.

Answer by Bmat at 12:29 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I am not sure what one has to do with the other, in fact the weight is probably aggravating the back. Can you walk or swim? 20 minutes of walking or swimming at least three times a week would be a great start. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Eat 7 servings of whole grains a day. Cut way back on, or eliminate meat and dairy. Eat beans and lentils.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:14 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I have lower back pain and my doctor recommended yoga or pilates because they are both easy on the back. He also recommended stomach crunches. He told me that if I strengthened my stomach muscles that my back muscles would get stronger and I would have less backpain. Walking is another good activity. An exercise ball is also good for backpain, I actually used one in physcial therapy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:14 PM on May. 5, 2009