Back surgery??? Whould anyone do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Health

• I would b/c I have scoliosis and my back hurts a lot from it.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:26 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I ruptured 2 discs in my lower back in '91. I have had back surgery. I did my research and found the very best back surgeon within my area (also covered by our insurance). I would recommend it to anyone in need of it. I rarely have any back pain, and when I do some Motrin does the trick.
    Do the research - find the best Dr. for your needs - they'll let you know if surgery is something that is needed.
    Nanna22

Answer by Nanna22 at 12:48 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I have facet disease, degenerative disc disease, bone spurs growing into the spine, sciatica, nerve damage, 2 herniated discs, a ruptured disc, and a slipped vertebrae. They wanted to do a laminectomy & fusion about 8 or 9 yrs ago.

It's not going to happen --- not until they perfect a better way of doing it. My mother had that surgery -- walked in for surgery, never walked again.

I recently read some articles and saw some blurps on the news about how they're working on making a surgery like this completely laproscopic... you're in & out in 24 hours, tops. They're also starting to replace the damaged discs & re-align the bones instead of just removing the discs, leaving everything out of place, and packing it with cement made out of cadavers.

I don't know what surgery has been suggested for you --- I can only recommend you do EXTENSIVE research & get several opinions before moving forward.

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:59 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I have severe scoliosis. I have been seeing a chiropractor regularly for over 20 years; his treatments have allowed me to put off surgery for a long time. I probably will need it within the next five years.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:11 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I did last year. I had multilpe disc, spur, and stenosis problems and have DDD and spinal arthrtitis, but what sent me in for surgery was the the one area w/ severe stenosis, where my cord was flattened completely on top of both sciatic nerves. I couldn't walk w/o excruciating pain and eventually needed 'assists' to get around. Using a walker at 38 and even then not being able to go far or long WITH the walker was not going to be a permanent thing for me. I consulted w/ 4 neurosurgeons and looked in to less-invasive measures, had less-invasive treatment, but nothing was going to get me walking w/o pain again but surgery. I still have back problems, but I can walk now without pain and only need assistance when I need to go far/long. I can live w/ that and it was absolutely worth it for me. But, not all back problems require surgery -definitely not.
    wymom94

Answer by wymom94 at 6:06 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i have had two spinal srgeries
    devonsmom

Answer by devonsmom at 11:18 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I had a buldging disk it tore and after 5 yrs work comp finally approved adr artificial disk replacment I had it done 1-20-09 it was done through a 4 inch cute in my belly the old dsk was removed and the new titanium was put in.I still have pain.Work comp never approved physical therapy. I can do most things just not for a long period of time.
    lisaschu34

Answer by lisaschu34 at 3:37 PM on May. 28, 2009

• The most crucial part in our body is our skeletal framework and undergoing a back surgery like with your spine? i am not really keen of getting one  but i will try to look for alternatives such as back therapies if there is any or consult to more than one doctor. DePuy

pinnaclelawsuit

Answer by pinnaclelawsuit at 3:46 PM on Mar. 12, 2012