whats the best way to stop breast feeding?

my daughter is a year and im a first time mom i also breastfeed. she never has a bottle so do i switch to formula or do i just give her regular milk. please help?

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stop breastfeeding her. You need to give her 1 oz of milk in water and increase it daily until its all 8 oz of just milk. She doesn't need formula at 1. Only nurse at night and nap times and slowly cut those feedings out. Offer her a cup and not a bottle and stop offering her your breast for feedings.

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:32 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Why would you stop giving her the food that nature intended? You DO NOT have to give her cow's milk and can continue breastfeeding until she is ready to wean. If you really do want to quit then slowly cut back on the feedings and over cow's milk, or some other milk during what would have been nursing times. At 12 months old they do not need to go to formula and should not be given a bottle.

• Just start giving a little milk with water in a sippy cup so she will get use to it. Add another ounce of milk every couple of days or by week until she is use to it. Then to start weening her at this point you just remove the feeding that you think that she'll miss the least. At first they cry but with in a day or two they go right down. I switched up my routine a little, when I would lay my son down for a nap instead of rocking him, I stood and sang to him. Otherwise he would associate boobie time. You don't have to worry about weaning your daughter right at 12 mo. Starting is good if that's what you would like, but take your time. I let my son wean himself off of the last feeding at night.

Answer by KadensMom907 at 2:29 PM on May. 5, 2009

• The best way is baby-led weaning. My daughter stopped at 23 months. The World Health Organization (not nearly as influenced by the formula lobby as American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 2 years. Once your baby is past her first birthday, you can start giving her water in a sippy cup (I like the Sigg). She is not a baby cow and does not need cow milk. Here is a great article on building healthy bones:
    Be sure that you offer a variety of healthy foods: avocado, cooked beans, cooked sweet potato, tofu, etc. Your local library should have a copy of Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron; it is the best book on feeding babies and toddlers; more information at

Answer by rkoloms at 3:45 PM on May. 5, 2009

• heres info about weaning and breastfeeding...

reasons not to wean at a year

If you for sure want to wean replace one feeding a week with cows this slowly to make sure you don't get an infection

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:12 PM on May. 5, 2009

• You dont HAVE to wean at a year, just in case you didnt know that :) It's perfectly normal and okay to nurse your baby until their ready to wean, and in my opinion THAT is the best way to stop breastfeeding. The World Health Organization recommends at LEAST two years, the American Acadamy of Pediatrics recommends at least one year but strongly encourages mother to nurse her baby for as long as mom and baby want. So, really there's no need to stop unless it is causing problems for your family.

If you DO decide to wean her though, definitely dont switch her to formula. That will be just one more thing to wean her from. If you wean her, take out one feeding per week, until all feedings are gone.

Good luck and GOOD JOB breastfeeding for the entire first year :)

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 5:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• You can continue breastfeeding if you want. :) The WHO recommends two years minimum. So if you want to continue, there's a lot of benefits to that.

If you want to wean, whole milk until two years, and then 2% after that. If she doesn't tolerate milk well you can try soy milk or hemp milk.

Answer by Gruntlings at 6:38 PM on May. 5, 2009