daughter will be 2 in june obsessed with paci

I don't know how to get my daughter off of her paci.I'm afraid its going to ruin her teeth.She seems to be cranky all day unless she has it.I'm frustrated and need some help with this issue!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take them all away. Hide them or throw them in the trash and replace it with a blanket or a toy. Just tell her no she is not getting it. Out of sight out of mind. YOu must have a stronger will than her. If you can't handle that then tell her she only gets it while she is in bed and then cut out the nap time with it and take it away from her at night while she is sleeping until she no longer takes it at all.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:34 PM on May. 5, 2009

• my son was the same way. Always had it in his mouth finally we got tired of it and were able to take it away thoughout the day. He does fuss and have issues but we try to do time outs and stuff so he understands not to act like that. Now he does get it at night and a nap time for now but we are working on that also. You just got to take it away, I know its hard he screamed and cried the first time. But we did it on a really busy day where we would be going and he really didn't have a chance to worry about it all day. So you just got to pick which day is best for you. Yeah they will probably be some crying and screaming but just ignore it or sit her in a time out.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 12:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My daughter will be 2 in June as well and she still uses hers at nighttime. We are going on a trip by airplane, this month and after that, I plan to get rid of it. If you go to babycenter.com and put "getting rid of the pacifier" in the search box, you will get lots and lots of parents ideas! It will probably be easier than you think. Good luck!!!
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 12:52 PM on May. 5, 2009

• my son was the same way, except when he went to daycare he didnt want to be a baby so he gave it to one of the daycare aides and when i picked him up he would go and get it out of his cubby and put it right in his mouth so eventually i figured him out and just stopped giving it to him and he threw them away on his own.
    jewel7584

Answer by jewel7584 at 1:57 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Buy this stuff called THUMB at the pharmacy. When she is not looking, pour that stuff on all of her pacifiers, when she puts her mouth on that she will get grossed out and not want a pacifier again. My daughter tried it once, gagged, tried it again...(I guess she she couldn't believe the taste) and said nasty. She took the pacifier and dumped it in the garbage. I'm telling you it was a 1 shot thing. BYE BYE PACIFIER Now everytime she sees another baby with one she says nasty. :)
    Yveliah

Answer by Yveliah at 3:26 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I never ever understand this question. Your daughter is 2. You are....how old?

Just take it away.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:28 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My oldest was like that. i just told her I wasn't going to buy anymore. Unfortunatly she held on to the very last one for dear life. I finally just bought a couple heilium ballon from the dollar store, tied the last binky to it and said we were going to send it to the babies in heaven. She was so excited about letting the ballon go, she didn't even freak about the binky. She never asked for another on again.
    Nikidu

Answer by Nikidu at 10:15 PM on May. 5, 2009

• FIRST OFF U SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THEM AWAY WHEN SHE STARTED GETTING HER TEETH BUT U SHOULD JUST TAKE ALL OF HER PACI'S AND THROW THEM AWAY YEA SHE IS GONNA THROW A FIT AND CRY AND WINE BUT SHE WILL GET OVER IT.
    tabby23andkids

Answer by tabby23andkids at 11:10 PM on May. 5, 2009