What are good ways for a working mom to increase milk production?

I work about 40 hrs a week. My 6m old son goes to daycare while i am at work. I have been and plan to try to continue to pump milk for him while i am at work, then he breastfeeds while at home. I don't have availability to pump every 2 hrs, like has been reccomended that i do, while i am at work. I have increased my pumping from 2x to 3x while i am working, and i am taking mother's milk tea. My supply has increased a little, but not much yet. Any reccomendations on anything else I can try to help increase my production?

nosborne

Asked by nosborne at 12:38 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink a beer at night after you nurse to help the production and if you can get a whisper quiet pump that you can wear while you work as you need to keep the flow going before you loose it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:39 PM on May. 5, 2009

• As funny as that sounds, I did actually read that the barley in beer helps with production. It works with both alcholic and non-alcholic beer.
    nosborne

Answer by nosborne at 12:49 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Drink lots of water. Instead of the beer, get brewers yeast tabs. Look at a picture of your baby while you pump at work. At home (on the weekends), pump before nursing.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:16 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I would pump after, not before nursing. If you're anything like me, if you pump before, you'll have a hungry baby. If you pump after, you will signal to your body that it needs to make more...

Frequency of pumping is really the best way to increase supply. But you can try Fenugreek (it's an herbal supplement available at the healthfood store). Also I'd recommend you join the Breastfeeding Moms group on cafe mom... lots of good advice there on supply, pumping, etc.
    GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:22 PM on May. 5, 2009