Why do people think success comes overnight?

People say they want to do this or that but aren't willing to work hard for it. Nothing comes easy. And if it did we'd never learn or appreciate anything. Being successful takes time. Success is a journey not a destination and it's the doing that is more important than the outcome (Arthur Ashe). You can't finish school overnight. You can't build a business (home-based or otherwise) overnight. You can't get rich overnight. Be patient and have a passion for what you decide to do in life.

ZARA81

Asked by ZARA81 at 12:42 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• Because everyone wants one thing, MONEY. Money is the devils playground for most and is the reason for most of the issues we all have.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:43 PM on May. 5, 2009

• you have to give to get. whether it be time, energy, money, etc. you have to invest into your own future. nothing is going to fall out the sky and provide everything just because you want it or need it.
    ZARA81

Answer by ZARA81 at 12:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• No but that is what everyone wants. To complain they have no food, money to pay bills, they are loosing the house, cars and everything yet they are online doing nothing all day long. People want a free hand out and to blame the economy for their won selfishness. They want and need all year long and go into debt or financial ruin and then want sympathy and free stuff or an instant fix to their money troubles
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:50 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i suppose it goes back to lack of parenting skills/training. if you have no one to teach you, then how will you know what to do. not all cases, but some. i don't know. i'm just tired of lazy people. like i know of someone who was offered two jobs (they turned them down) and then they are crying broke days later. that's not cool. it's really sad...
    ZARA81

Answer by ZARA81 at 12:54 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Applause for the OP!!

It is sad that our nation has become one of entitlement. People feel like they are entitled to success and money just because they exist! It is sickening.

My Mom raised 3 kids working to multiple jobs with no PA and no child support from our deadbeat dad. I got that work ethic thing early on! I used it to put myself thru school. Hubby did too. We then worked 2 jobs to "save up". We are now considered successful and are about to get slammed with a bunch of new taxes. I may even close my business. I am waiting to see how the cap and trade thing will work out. If I close several people will be without jobs. I use unskilled labor, train them and then pay double my states minimum wage. I am having to seriously rethink things.

Mom taught us that the sky is the limit. Poor Mom, she didn't know Obama was coming.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:01 PM on May. 5, 2009

• The media and entertainment industries glorify the rare stories where that happens

- I think I've seen three movies where someone wins the lottery.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 1:39 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Everyone expects everything now not later. That seems to be what I see all the time, no one can wait for anything anymore.
    poudmomof2

Answer by poudmomof2 at 2:45 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Amen! That's what our society pushes though. No work ethic, selfishness, and materialism.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 6:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I read a study recently which said, the median income for a male head of household is about 43,000 or something like that. Young guys out of high school think they should be making 175,000. Very unrealistic. Maybe it's because we watch too much TV where every thing is resolved in an hour. People don't realize though if you work hard for something, there's great satisfaction in obtaining the goal. And you learn a lot of important stuff along the way.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 10:23 PM on May. 6, 2009

• Totally agree with you! You have to be willing to work hard!
    mandarenee625

Answer by mandarenee625 at 11:02 PM on May. 6, 2009