Would you send your 3 yr old to pre-school?

I sent my son to pre-school when he was 3 yrs old ONLY because he was having to have speech therapy and some other therapy. His doctors said it would benefit him tremendously because of not only of his therapy but because he was an only child! I did take him and it was by far the bEST choice I made! He out grew his speech problem AND to top it all off, I was told that he was too smart to be in pre-school!!

I doubt that I will be sending my daughter when she turns 3 unless she has some medical condition or she is showing that she needs to extra help and interaction with other children.

Pre-school is an awesome curiculm to have for those that need it. I was up at the school all the time helping out and LOVED IT. They teach your child so much AND you will always see your child smiling because they love the one on one attention!

SweetKYmom

Asked by SweetKYmom at 12:44 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would send my daughter at 3 if they would take her. I think its a good thing to get her ready for school and around other kids her age.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:45 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My son is in a special education pre-school at an elementary school. He loves it! He also is "too smart" for that classroom now, but they aren't going to "kick" him out. He will get to go to four year-old pre-K next year. They will hold a spot for him, that way we don't have to be on a waiting list or anything. It's very exciting!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 12:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• it gets pricey though
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:48 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I did send my oldest when she was 3. My 2nd was special needs so she started at 3.

But, my last baby isn't going until he is 4. (pre-k)
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 12:48 PM on May. 5, 2009

• If I had found one I would've sent my daughter to one! We're in the process of moving into our first home and when that's a settled we'll be sending her to preschool, she'll be 4 though at that time
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 12:48 PM on May. 5, 2009

• What's the difference between preschool and pre-k?
    Anonymous

• Pre-K is Kindergarten for four year olds. They do everything that kindergartners do, but at a four year old level.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 12:51 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm considering it for my 3yo but only because she wants to go to school so badly. But the preschool she would go to isn't curriculum intensive. It's just 2 days a week for 2 hours each day and they just focus on playing and letter recognition and writing. It's through our park district and is the only thing we could afford (about $150 for the year). My oldest went when she was 4 and my middle daughter went last year but not for the full year and was already 5 when she started. My son never went to preschool and started school in kindergarten (he's in 1st grade now).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:51 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My older daughter went to pre-school also cuz she needed speech therapy and benefited from it greatly! I would love to send my almost 3 year old to pre-school this fall, cuz she really wants to go and I think it would be great for her, but the only obstacle we're facing is the fact that most places require they are potty-trained, and she is being SO stubborn with that!
    amyd4581

Answer by amyd4581 at 1:21 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I sent my son a three to a free pre-school because he is an only child and I was home with him from birth. I thought he need to get used to not being with me and being with other kids in a classroom setting. He only went 2 days a week for 1/2 a day. At 4 he went to head start. 5 kindergarten.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:54 PM on May. 5, 2009