My baby was born with 2 toes fused together just skin-information?

The doctor is sending us to an Orthopedic doctor to look @ possibly seperating the 2 toes connected by skin tissue. He says some people opt not to have the surgery. It does not effect walking if you leave it that way. You cant tell unless you put his feet up in your face. My teen sister was the one who 1st discovered it in the hospital, the doctors & nurses didnot know his toes had an abnormality. I had to show them. I am nervous about putting a child so young under, even tho it is considered a minor operation, I do not know if we should wait until he is older, or just leave it alone & when he is an adult let him decide. My hubby doesnt want him teased by other kids- so he wants the operation as soon as he turns 1 year. Anybody been through this already??? What did you decide to do????? They said it would not effect his walking either way. He's so little I dont know what to do. We have an app. in Aug. for a consult

pamom222

Asked by pamom222 at 1:18 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I am dealing with this now with my DD. Her 4th and 5th toes are fused. She also has a extra 1/2 pinky toe on th same foot. We talked to Dr about it and desided to just get the 1/2 toe removed. He said that if we seperated the two toes it could cause problems. Right now she has none, she can bend them and everthing. Dr said if you seperate them that the scar tissue could cause them not to bend thus causeing problems with walking. We have a appt this Wednesday to have the extra toe removed(we have to do this because it sticks out and will cause problems with shoes later(Iam careful now) As fo rthe webbed toes no one even notices it untill I say something baout it even the extra toe even though it sticks out. I would personally(oviously) leave it be. Dont cause problems thats not there.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:57 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Also they said it was genetic- that an uncle or someone in our family must have been born with the toes the same way. I realize their are worse problems, but I want to make an informed decision. I love him no matter what his toes look like. My hubby wants the operation.
    pamom222

Answer by pamom222 at 1:24 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I know two kids with it and they are now school age and no one ever "fixed" theirs. They walk and run. You wouldn't know unless they were barefoot and you looked at their feet.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:26 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Are the toes completely fused or just partial? I have two toes fused together on my right foot. The first and third. They are fused about half way. No one notices until I tell them. I was never teased as a child. I wouldnt do the surgery. I couldnt put my child through that for a cosmetic reason that no one will probably notice anyway...just my opninion
    Amy_M

Answer by Amy_M at 1:29 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't be concerned about it since it doesn't affect the function of the foot. If it becomes a problem as your kiddo grows up, either physical or mental (like self conscious and such), then maybe look at getting it repaired.
    Anonymous

• not sure why i answered anon :p
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 1:31 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I think most kids would that it would be COOL. Kids in my school loved weird stuff like that!

Anyways, I would leave it and let your child decide when they are older.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:46 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Well You have to remember kids and be cruel too. If you want you kid to get the surgery do it so so they dont remember. Its just easier that way
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on May. 7, 2009

• I should also say that the extra toe is webbedor more attached to the side of the pinky toe. So we will have to deal with the scar tissue and hope it does not cause a problem. I know my Dr said he does not want me to seperate the toes and how many Drs(this is the surgen) do you know who will say they do not want to do it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:43 AM on May. 7, 2009