Is it selffish for pregnant women to smoke when pregnant.

It is beyond me why "mother" can smoke while pregnant. That like loving your addiction more than your child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Addiction is very powerful... it's usually nothing to do with mental addiction, but more of a physical addiction. When you smoke, your body creates receptors that the nicotine fills to make you satisfied. When you quit, those receptors are still there and cause all kinds of stress on your body. It's not a matter of "loving" your addiction more than your child, it's a matter of physical need. BUT, you're probably a nonsmoker anyway and would have NO F--KING CLUE what it's like. Keep on judgin'!
    Anonymous

• My Bio dad is a drug addict. I always felt like he loved the drugs more than me. With all that we know about how bad smoking is for babies, I don't know why anyone would keep doing it period...much less when they are pregnant.
    I know it is hard to quit, but still QUIT if you are pregnant!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• YES. its just My thoughts and the box does read DO NOT SMOKE IF YOU ARE PREGO.... so the people that do just can't read or don't care that they are causing WAY to many problems to count before they need to. what is so hard about putting out the stupid thing, if you are helping your child have a head start in life. Later if the child wants to end its life one puff at a time, at least you know you did everything right and its now their choice.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 1:28 PM on May. 5, 2009

• IMO yes. Because it's not just about "you" anymore. You are putting another life at risk other than your own. But then again I don't agree with smoking at all. Why anyone would want to do that to their body is beyond me. Just my opinion ladies take it or leave it and if you want to disagree with it PM me instead of taking up space in the post. LOL
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It's bullshit that it's just a physical addiction. I smoked a pack a day and the day I found out I was pregnant I quit cold turkey. It's a mental addiction, a habit, and a VERY selfish act to smoke when you're pregnant. Yes, your brain gets used to the smoking and increases the receptors, but seriously, get over yourself. What's worse, going thru a few days of withdrawals and cravings, or dealing with a sick child and never forgiving yourself for what you did?
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 1:32 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Well, my SIL's doctor told her that she shouldn't stop smoking while pregnant with her last baby b/c the stress of trying to quit smoking while she was pregnant was worse for the baby than smoking a few cigarettes would be. She wasn't even supposed to get pregnant again b/c her body wasn't supposed to be able to handle a pregnancy, and this pregnancy was an "oops", so I guess it was meant to be.
    Anonymous

• I didn't smoke during my first pregnancy and my baby had lots of problems---allergies, etc. I smoked a little during my second and third pregnancies and they were healthy babies. Go figure. Anyway, it is so difficult to quit. I have read many Moms who insisted that their morning sickness was so bad that the only thing that helped was smoking POT. Now THAT is crazy. But,hey---that's just MY opinion. Everyone has to make their own decisions and choices. It shouldn't even be a question, as far as I'm concerned. It seems to be just an opportunity for some of you to bash Moms who smoke. @@ Its not your business.
    Anonymous

• Has anyone ever heard how stressful it can be on both you and the baby to quit smoking cold turkey when you're pregnant? The more you smoked before you were pregnant, the more stressful it is.
    Anonymous

• I agree, yes it is selfish. No matter how you look at it or how addicted you are it is. It is doing something for yourself that you know is harmful to your child. That's what selfish is.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:36 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I smoked until I got pregnant with both of my babies. I found out early with both of them and quit that same day. With my first I had been smoking for a little over two years with my second about two years. I quit while I was preggo and BFing then started again. Now I am BFing and really have no desire to go back to smoking. I think it is selfish and disgusting and should be a form of child abuse to smoke while pregnant or to even smoke around children.

lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 1:36 PM on May. 5, 2009