• In the Spotlight:

3 year old boy...potty training help!

I was always told use treats for rewards, use pull-ups and so on. I got a tip from a friend to just get rid of all of the diapers. My son cried. I sat him on the potty, tears and all, and set the timer to 10 minutes. Then when it went off I sat him there again. He cried again, yet tried. Still upset. Then when the timer went off the third time he jumped up and ran into the bathroom, sat and went. All on his own! Now the timer is set at every 25 minutes only 4 hours into potty training, no accidents, no praise and he automatically goes when the timer goes off. How this will wrk outside the house is what I am worried about! Do I bring an egg timer???

Onthe5yearplan

Asked by Onthe5yearplan at 1:39 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My sister took a timer with her everywere. Her little boy would only go when he heard the bell go off. If that it what it takes to keep him dry, then do it.
    Puck1013

Answer by Puck1013 at 1:46 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Good luck! My son is 9 -- we still have him in pull-ups due to temper tantrums in public and refusing to use public bathrooms....I wish I knew I would love some advice on this too!! It ain't easy!!! God Bless u are in my thoughts......
    zquestsmom

Answer by zquestsmom at 1:42 PM on May. 5, 2009