2 year old almost 3...on a 10 hr plane ride!!!!!

we are military and moving to germany in a few months, she will be 3 in december.....very high energy little girl.
the plane ride is roughly 10-11 hrs.....
how in the world do i survive a 10 hrp lane ride witha high energy toddler, what would you bring with you? do? tips?
im so not looking forward to this plane ride....

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:44 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• keep her up the night b4 late so she will be tired on the plane.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:45 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I just did a 3 hr flight with my 2 1/2 yr. old.
    I brought, binki, blankie, candy, coloring books and crayons, favorite, little, toys. sippy cup.
    It also helped a lot the i flew JetBlue. They have tvs on the back of everyseat. Maybe you have a portable dvd player, the ones with the screen?? Or a laptop? I did all this, and its alot, and she slept the whole time, both ways.....lol. Yours is of course much longer. Good luck.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 2:01 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I would bring everything I could think of. I haven't taken my kids on a plane before but driving eith them for hours has to be along the same lines kind of. I brought coloring books, books, playdoh, those crayole wonder books and Pens(mess-free), portable dvd player, I let my oldest son who is 4 have my iPod shuffle. We put his favorite music from movies, cd's,etc. on it, he also has a vtech vsmile pocket and it has a headphone jack too. Best of luck!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 2:22 PM on May. 5, 2009

• usually the long distance flights like this goign to another country have tv's on the back of the seats....ive flown to/from germany about 6x from when i used to be stationed their, and only once did i get a plane without that....so ill definitely have to look in and make sure we get one with that so she can put on headphones and we can pick a kid themed movie for her to watch.

i can never sleep on planes, i just hope she can lol. i dont know what it is but im lucky to get one hr of sleep on a plane.

when my hubby flew from korea to the states he had a bad time, the plane hit major turbulence, air bags dropped etc. so i know he's nervous cause thats the last time he was on a plane and it was a scary one, he was afraid they wouldnt make it....that would make me hesitant to board another plane too !

ill definitely have to bring her favorite teddy bear and blanket so she feels comfy
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:10 PM on May. 5, 2009

• snacks saved us.. also, regardless of whether or not she still takes a bink or baby bottle, bring one-- buy a bottle of water (or two) at the gift shop before you board to fill it up with and let her suck- it will really help with the ear popping thing... you are each allowed one carry on, that includes her so pack it with a few new toys to keep her attention plus her favorite blanket or whatever so she can sleep... try to get a flight at night to hopefully she will sleep through most of it...
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 5:35 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Can you get a night flight? That would be pretty helpful. I have flown with my daughter a lot (also military) and we take a portable DVD player and movies, small toys (cars, animals), NEW toys, magnet sets, stickers, snacks, sippy cup...

Good luck, and have fun, I hear Germany is really cool! I'm so jealous! I'd kill to go to Europe!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:58 AM on May. 6, 2009