How to I get my daughter to stop peeing in her underwear at night?

We just moved from Maine to New York about a month ago and since the move, my daughter has not been doing well at all with the potty training. Before the move, she was using her potty at night and doing great doing the day. Now, she does okay during the day, but night time is horrible. Every morning when she gets up, her underwear is soaked through because she peed and now is pooping in her underwear. It is getting so bad that the smell from it is going throughout the whole house, no matter how much we clean it. We have begun making her scrub her underwear in the tub every morning, but she seems to be more enjoying doing it because she sees it as a bath even though it's not. Nothing seems to be working. I know she needs time to adjust but it is getting really bad. The other day, she went in her room for maybe an hour and when she came out, she was pee soaked again, even though she was awake! Any tips or advice?

trinsmom04

Asked by trinsmom04 at 1:45 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Treat her like a baby, take her every hour and sit her on the potty and tell her going on herself is yucky, don't give her what she wants till her understands that it is unexceptable to do that.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:57 PM on May. 5, 2009

• For nighttime I would put her in pullups. A move is a big change, even with it already being a month. It might help a lot with the smell.
    Anonymous

• We were doing the pull ups at night, but it just seemed to make it worse for daytime. She was going in her underwear during the day too when we had her in pullups at night. Once we put her in underwear during the day again, she began doing better during the day.
    trinsmom04

Answer by trinsmom04 at 2:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It is very common for large changes to cause potty training problems. Go back a few steps and HELP her catch back up. Make sure she pees every 2 hours in the day time. Keep an eye on her and tell her it's time to try - don't wait for her to do it on her own. For nighttime, reassure her that it is a common problem and put her back in pullups.
    She is under a lot of stress from the move (moves are one of the top 10 stressors for ADULTS - think what it must be like for a child!). Let her adjust to the new situation with little to no stress from you about the potty. Yes, still have her use it in the daytime. But take every memory you have of "she was doing great before the move" and toss them. They do not apply to her now, in her new home. And comparing her to them is pointless.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:22 PM on May. 5, 2009

• You may have to start from scratch. Put her in training undies and get her to the potty on a very regular basis. Try rewarding her when she stays dry. Do not yell or punis when she wets. Negative attention from you is better than no attention, so she may thrive on the fact that it makes you nuts. Make her clean herself up especially when she poops, don't make a washing water play game out of it because that is fun. Try to keep cool, say as little as possible when she wets just hand her a wash cloth and her dry clothes.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:55 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Not too sure where you are on drinking juice or water or whatever before bed... but I do not let my girls have liquids 1 hr prior to bedtime. Then if they are thirsty they can have one drink (1 actual small drink, not cup full) of water before bed. The move may have something to do with it, but maybe she is getting too many liquids before bed??
    cldetary

Answer by cldetary at 6:08 PM on May. 6, 2009

• I was a bed wetter when i was a baby this is kinda funny but my mom bought me micky and minni sheets and told me if i potty in the bed i would drownd them i never wet the bed again.lol
    Amanda2430

Answer by Amanda2430 at 8:32 PM on May. 6, 2009

• We don't allow my daughter to have any more liquids after 6pm and her bedtime is 8pm. So that gives her two hours. As for the minnie and micky sheets comment, I could try that with my daughter's spongebob sheets, lol. It's worth a shot, haha.
    trinsmom04

Answer by trinsmom04 at 12:18 AM on May. 7, 2009