• In the Spotlight:

What are some tips on dealing with a very gassy 3 month old boy?

He's 3 months. We are about to switch his formula from Similac Soy to Similac Sensitive. He just started this really bad the last week or so and he just cries out of the blue and badly...especially around feeding times...Sometimes he won't even take his bottle and he just cries even when you stick it in his mouth. I just put him to sleep after he only ate 3 oz and cried nonstop and now he's waking up screaming every 10 to 15 min and I have to hold him and carry him and walk around to get him back to sleep.

amyt89

Asked by amyt89 at 1:46 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mylocon infant gas drops...put them in his bottle or you can put it in his mouth....lots and lots of burping like try every ounce...good luck. my son did this...
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 1:51 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Does he spit up alot as well? Hopefully it IS just gas & not reflux! It sounds like my son - who has reflux and had COLIC. Yeah, definately use gas drops - every feeding - you have to be consistent. And also like the previous poster, try burping during a feeding if baby takes a break. You can also "bicycle" the legs to try and work things out!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My son was the same way and I gave him Mylicon drops and that helped. And I was bottle feeding so the doctor told me to warm up his bottle a little bit because for 9 months they were drinking warm amniotic fluid so a room temp or cold bottle could upset the tummy too. I would also lay my son on my thighs when I was sitting down, I would lay him face down and support his head and bounce a little bit to help work out some of the gas bubbles
    Wyatts_Mom1006

Answer by Wyatts_Mom1006 at 5:42 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I used an organic homeopathic remedy called Colic Calm and it worked pretty well. Trust me when I say I had tried everything else. Gas drops didn't do a thing, Different gripe waters, chammomile tea etc. My baby was colicky and I was desperate. Look it up online, they have a money back guarantee but i really liked the stuff. The lady above had mentioned laying baby tummy down on your thighs and that was the only thing that sometimes stopped the crying for a few minutes. White noise or vibrating bouncy chair helped sometimes too even if for a few minutes. Or, my lifesaver, my baby sling. I could walk around the house and clean or chat on the phone and the crying would stop and sleep would begin. Sometimes. I feel for you and you LO. Good Luck!
    witchdoctor

Answer by witchdoctor at 8:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm a BF mom, but I have heard that Alimentum? formula has worked wonders for many fussy babies. It is supposed to be hypo-allergenic I believe. Although, the soy may just do the trick.
    Anonymous

• I b/f but my daughter has lots of gas I use organic gripe water. You can get it at walgreens pretty cheap its chamomile and maybe fennel anyway it works way better that gas drops those never helped hannah
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:57 PM on May. 5, 2009