How do I get my 4yo to sleep in his own bed?

I made the mistake of co-sleeping at the age of 7 mos with him and now he is 4yo and we are pregnant with number 2. Any sugggestions on how to get him to sleep in his bed all night long by himself? thanks

yegz210

Asked by yegz210 at 1:47 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, be consistant. Keep placing him back in his bed and maybe sit with him until he falls asleep, read to him or let him read. Make it a quiet, relaxing time. No talking, rub his back, etc.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:48 PM on May. 5, 2009

• We are going through the same thing. reward system has helped us. My son wants a fish, so we made a stiker chart for him. He get a sticker every night he sleeps in his bed, when he get 30, we get him a fish. By then it should be a habit. Put him to bed in his bed, if he gets up take him back It take a few night and a lot of crying, but they get the hang of it. Only 3 more stickers to go!
    Puck1013

Answer by Puck1013 at 1:49 PM on May. 5, 2009

• my lil one is 3 and I lay her down in her bed at night until she goes to sleep and then leave her once she has fallen asleep. when she wakes up in the night, I put her back to her bed and do the same thing. I think after awhile it will stick and things will get easier. we are going to start on our 2nd and I wanted that out of the way long before I am prego. And just a heads up, next time for you and me, no co-sleeping. : ) I know it will be hard for me, I will BF and its so easy to just let them lay their when you know they will wake up at any second, but we can be strong, we are woman........... this is for me as much for you : )
    Anonymous

• At least you only have one in your bed! lol We co-slept with our oldest, who is now almost 2 1/2, we are now really trying to get him in his own bed. I didn't co-sleep with our second, who is almost 1 1/2 but for some reason the last couple of months when he wakes up he is not happy and will not go back to sleep unless he is with one of us. I tried just sleeping on the couch with him so he would get used to our bed but I am six months pregnant with #3 and my bed is so much more comfortable! So needless to say, usually when I wake up, along with DH there is 2 little boys also in our bed. We keep joking that we need a king size so that #3 will fit as well. Our boys are getting good at going to sleep in their own beds, it just getting them to stay there all night long!
    Anonymous

• I think the method that I have heard works best is just being really soothing and walking them back to there room whenever they get out of bed. It might seem like you are running a hole in the floor going back and forth but soon enough it will be a habit for your child. You just have to stick it out with the walking back and forth. It is especially hard for those toddlers that have co-slept to all of a sudden get used to the idea of sleeping alone. Making the room a cozy and comforting enviornment also helps. Star lights, cozy blankets, etc. I think it also helps if you do not lay with them while they fall asleep. Having a child who can sooth themselves to sleep means they will be more able to put themselves back to sleep if they awake in the night. This will save you the nightly wake-ups...
    makeitbloom

Answer by makeitbloom at 2:09 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Go buy a kid sleeping bag or sleeping pad... put it next to your bed and tell him that he is a big boy and can not sleep in your bed any longer. If he gets up and tries to come in bed with you point to the sleeping bag or show him back to his room... every kid is different but most likely if you stick to your guns you can move the bag/mat a bit further from your bed and out into the hallway or his room within a month or two... of, if you are comfortable with him sleeping next to your bed then leave him to continue sneaking in and sleeping there til he realizes his bed is softer...
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 5:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• your should read a book for him and then put a nightlite on!!! s, he wouldnt get scared!!! my 4 yo sleeps with me ... something on her own bed!!!! maybe his scared to be alone on his own bedroom...
    filipina99

Answer by filipina99 at 5:53 PM on May. 5, 2009

• thanks alot for all the replies i am gonna try and i HAVE got to be consistent! and also this new baby no sleeping in mommys bed lol i will not make this mistake again lol thanks again
    yegz210

Answer by yegz210 at 10:47 PM on May. 5, 2009