microchips?

this question is aimed towards cats! my cat has discovered a small hole in the wall. it's there for easy access to the hot and cold water for the washing machine. I guess the landlords put it there and never covered it back up. but the washing machine can cover it up. only thing is the hoses make the machine stick out a little. anyways, my cat escaped the other day and he lost his collar (might be under the house). he came back of course, but I would have been more at ease if his collar was on. so whats the story with microchips? are they worth it? pros? cons? if he was to be found by someone how would they know to check and see if theres a microchip? he loves people and would easily go into someones home if they offered. luckily he ran out in the middle of the night. no traffic, everyone pretty much sleeping, and many "stray" cats he can play with. he is vaccinated and fixed

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:08 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Pets

• Microchips are small and insterted under the skin. The needle used to insert them is huge, so they might have to sedate him a little to have it place. The Vet will give you all the paperwork to fill out so that you can have that chip number registered to you. If he gets out, and some one takes him to a Vet, they can scan him, call the manufacuter who can then get in touch with you, or give the Vet the info to get in touch with you. Shelters are suppose to check for microchips as well, but personally I don't think they do. I KNOW the ones around here don't.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 2:55 PM on May. 5, 2009

• hmm yes I'm not so sure about the animal shelter here either. but the humane society has been working hard to spread the word and stricken laws about that kinda stuff. I will do some research. thank you!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:08 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Microchips are absolutely worth it....my dogs both have them. The chip is about the size of a grain of rice and goes just under the skin around the shoulder area. They usually don't have to sedate them. It's over and done really quick. They are about $25 and anyone who finds the animal can take it to any shelter or vets office and they scan it. And since you register it when it's done, all of your information pops up....i think it should be required. There would be a lot less animals sitting in the shelters unclaimed if they knew where their home was.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:39 PM on May. 5, 2009

• calliesmommie, she said she has a cat. They are a lot less tolerable of things and harder to restrain than a dog. The needle is a 14g, so yea big needle. There is a chance her cat will tolerate it just fine. I just wanted to warn her in case the Vet came back out and said, "he is freaking out, do you mind if we sedate him a little" I used to be a Vet Tech and I have seen it happen. This is why most Vets try to get you to place them at the same time they are being spayed/neutered. And you are right, you do register the chip, but the only thing that pops up on the reads is the chip number. The chip company still has to be called in order for the number to be ran.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 8:48 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Microchips are so totally worth it! Both my cats have them and they did not need to be sedated for it. My local shelter does it for $10. Maybe your's does to?
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 9:05 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Both of my dogs are microchipped. I have on their ID tags that they are microchipped, as well. I had mine done when they were puppies and were under for their spays, but it can be done without sedation. I think ours was $25 but I'm pretty sure you can get it cheaper. Especially at an animal event that advertises that they are doing microchipping.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:18 PM on May. 5, 2009

• microchips are fine in animals since u don't have to worry about them going to hell because they don't have spirits, now us on the other hand will go to hell if we have a microchip in us, which is the mark of the beast :/
    but feel free to waste all that money on yoiur microchip for your cat:/
    Anonymous

• what do microchips do? for example I lost my chihuahua a few months back, if she would of had that in her can you get her back like a magnet? or only if the person were to take her to a vet? but what if they changed her collar were it says she was microchiped? will they still know?
    bettyboob83

Answer by bettyboob83 at 11:55 PM on May. 5, 2009

• what if u waste that money on getting it for youir cat but then the person that finds it doesnt take it to the vet? then its money down the drain, or what if they do take it to the vet but when the vet scan's it then the person lies and says yeah its under there name but they sold me this dog or cat, then they'll still get away with it, right?
    Anonymous

• LMAO at some of these answers.

BettyBoob83, a microchip is a small object placed under the skin on your pet. The chip has a number. You register that number with your information with the company of the microchip. If your pets get lost and whomever finds them takes them to a shelter/vet, then they are scanned. If they are microchipped then the scanner reads out the microchip number. The microchip company is called, they track the number to your information, and then you can be contacted as long as the information they have is current. My dog is microchipped. I hit a dog a while back and was able to find the owner because he was microchipped. He was fine, but I was still glad to find the owner. If you take the microchip tag off the collar, thats fine, they don't need that. Just need the microchip scanner to find the chip.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 12:21 AM on May. 6, 2009