What worked best for you to potty train your toddler?

My son is almost 3yrs old and I am having the hardest time potty training him. I was told to take him to the restroom every 30mins to and hour to get him to try but he screams and throughs a huge fit when I put him on the potty. Any comments or tips would help ever so much and i would be so greatful. :D

ImAMom2006

Asked by ImAMom2006 at 2:08 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Check out the Potty Training Moms group on CM. There's a permanent post on the "3-day method" which we used with our 19 month old and it worked great. It takes the power struggle right out of the equation, which to me seems like your problem at this point. The gist is that you put him in underwear and a shirt, keep the potty close, and wait till he starts to have an accident... then you very quickly move him to the potty so he finishes there, and reward him if a little bit makes it in. There's no sitting and waiting for something to happen, which can cause kids to resent the potty (it's like time-out). He will very quickly understand that the potty has a very specific purpose... I highly recommend this method, and if you join the group you can get lots of good advice, too. GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:25 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Don't keep taking your kid to the potty when you get up in the morning if he wears a pull up at night when you get up in the morning take the pull up off and take him to the bathroom or when your husband goes to the bathroom tell him to take him in the bathroom with him and just ask him during the day does he have to go to the potty but if he is already go and buy little man under wear of the character he likes andtell him to let you know when he has to go to the potty. when he does go #2 in his pull up if that is what you are using for when he goes potty in his pull up let him sit in it for only a little bit and tell him next time to tell you when he has to go potty this is tha=e same thing I am going through with my 2 year old and I have tio do the same thing I know that parents don't like doing that but if kids don't like to be wet they will start to tell you that they went potty .
    stepmommy

Answer by stepmommy at 3:14 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree w/ EmilySusan, except she missed the most crucial point of the 3-day potty training method. You CONSTANTLY tell your child "Make sure you tell Mommy when you have to go potty." It puts the child "in charge". But those few days ARE exhausting as you have to continually watch your child at all times.

We used this method with our 2 older kids and plan to use with the next 2 as well. My son took about 5 days, my daughter took 2. I really think part of the problem was that my son was a little too old. He was 27 months and my daughter was 20. The longer you wait, the longer they get set in their ways.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:32 PM on May. 5, 2009