How do does a mom deal with breath holding spells?

My daughter is one year old and holds her breath till she passes out. I mean out cold! She is usually out for a solid 30 to 45 seconds. I cannot get it out of my head that she is ok when it happens because it looks so scary and terrible. I feel like i am in a race to beat the clock trying to get her to come out of it and wake up before i have to call 911 and she would be brain dead! Does anyone else have a child who does this and how do you cope?

Jaymilynn

Asked by Jaymilynn at 2:09 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Health

• Yes. Just let her do it. The more you pay attention to it the more she will do it.
    Anonymous

• She can't cause herself to have brain damage doing this. Call your pediatrician about it if you are worried. It isn't uncommon for young kids to do this. She will get over it eventually.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:14 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Does she hold her breath on purpose or this?:My son did the whole caught breath, turn grey, stiff thing. He also would posture and pull his arms up by his shoulders and eyes would roll back in his head. But, no little puff of air to the face would stop him. We tried that and scream his name and jerk him. But, sometimes I could only wait. You couldn't pry his mouth open to breath for him. He only did it like 5 times. I called 911 once cause it was lasting for a few minutes. I was told it might have been a seizure disorder that he grew out of.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:16 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Omg..how scary for you moms. Ive heard to ignore behavior when its done for attention. But yikes watching them pass out. Id honestly start hyperventalating (sp?) and call 911! God Bless ya's! I truly have nothing to complain about.
    roxxxy

Answer by roxxxy at 2:41 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I used to do that to my mom when I was little. The doctor told her it is rare that they will acutally hold their breath til they pass out but if they do, when they pass out then they start breathing again. Try to ignore it....do not give a reaction.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:37 PM on May. 5, 2009

• She is probably doing it for attention. Try blowing in her face to get her to breath. Try not to react to her, she will not get brain damage from holding her breath. I worked in prechools for 20 years and we had many kids do this. We just blew in the childs face to get them breathing again and then they had a time out. Didn't last very long either. They found other ways to torture us.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:09 PM on May. 5, 2009