A question for athiests...

How do you believe the universe was created? More specifically, where did the first atom come from?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No idea. I am not a physisist and really don't understand much in that subject. I tried to read a book my husband enjoyed once and was lost by the third page.

However, I don't feel the need to have all questions like that answered. I think it is amazing how much we anthropologists, biologists, chemists, geneticists, etc have learned about evolution (a field I am more comfortable with). The more we learn, the more we know about our the world we live in and the history of it. I see it more as an exciting journey. Not necessarily a lack of information.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:20 PM on May. 5, 2009

• First ATOM came from the TOM........a molecule that appeared when 4 air molicules crashed into on another. They added the A to TOM and there you have it the first ATOM.
    Anonymous

• Oops I meant physicist not physisist. I don't know how that happened.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I don't know.....and that's fine. Just because science hasn't advanced to the point where we can answer those questions for sure yet, doesn't mean I'm going to replace "I don't know" with "God did it". That's the easy way out.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 2:35 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm not an atheist, but I don't believe that God created the Universe in the same way - I think that the Universe IS God being created... the unfurling of the Divine, creating itself (and everything in the material world is a part of that.)

IMO if you're going to believe that God created the universe as the only possible explanation, you have to ask "Where did God come from" then, and the only possible answer is just "have faith that he always was" ... I think that atheists should be allowed to just have faith that the Universe either always was, or that it appeared out of nowhere by causes and for reasons we'll never know.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:36 PM on May. 5, 2009

• No idea. I wasn't there. Neither were you. It's a moot point anyway. Something happened and I really don't care what it was as long as it has gotten us to this point. I'll stick with the current evidence put forth by scientists until such time as new evidence comes along. RAmen!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:50 PM on May. 5, 2009

• lol! i love you witchqueen!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I'ma go ahead and agree with witchqueen. Science triumph.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 3:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Ditto witchqueen.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:14 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Beeky, I love your new picture!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:16 PM on May. 5, 2009