At what age can I start introducing jar food to my baby?

I know its a lil early to ask this question, but I was wondering, at what age can I start introducing jar food to my baby? She's already taking a half of tea spoon of cereal in her 4oz bottle. Her Dr. says its ok to give her that lil bit. At almost 2 months, she's now eating 4 1/2 to 5 ozs every 3 hrs.

Laylas_Mommy09

Asked by Laylas_Mommy09 at 2:21 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Usually around 4 months but some say 6. We started at 4 months and our daughter will be 8 months and eats nothing but table food now.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:22 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Rule of thumb is 4-6 months, and when they've doubled their birth weight. When starting solids, they should still get the majority of their calories from breastmilk/formula. My guy is 7 months and still picky about solids lol.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:28 PM on May. 5, 2009

• When I had my 1st my doc said go ahead at 4 months and she was ready... my second we waited until 6 months and she still wasn't ready (although when we tried again at 7 months she was obsessed with it and now at almost 8 months really only wants things she can feed herself!) ! I would wait till 5-6 months or until your doc gives the ok and then start slowly... if baby pushes the food out with his tongue, he's not ready...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:32 PM on May. 5, 2009

• IMO no sooner then 6 months, but I also believe that cereal should not be given before 6 mos, if you even use it at all.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:36 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I started giving my kids a little cereal in their bottle since birth. I increased the cereal to make the milk much thicker around 2 1/2 months and started jar food around 3 months. It depends on your baby if the cereal doesnt seem to bother their stomach and they r not in pain when passing bowel movement for me its ok to start before 6 months.
    valquise

Answer by valquise at 2:55 PM on May. 5, 2009

• One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that studies show the longer you wait to introduce foods, the less chance they'll have of developing allergies. However, that might not apply if you're formula feeding. Watch carefully for gas or signs of sensitivity, like rashes (especially on neck/chest or behind ears) to make sure that your baby is ready. Like others said, most recommend waiting until 6 months, and until baby has doubled their birth weight. I've also read that you should wait until the baby is sitting on their own.
    MrsRich

Answer by MrsRich at 3:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

• If you have ever tasted jarred baby food, then you won't give it your baby; it is nasty stuff. Before baby turns one, solids are merely for the experience; nutrition continues to come from breastmilk or formula. Rice cereal is losing popularity as a first food, with many nutritionists recommending avocado (lots of good fats for babies growing brains). Cook and mashed sweet potatoes are great, too. Be sure to avoid the allergy triggers before baby's first birthday; these include (not a complete list): wheat, soy. dairy, citrus, strawberries. Nuts and honey should not be introduced until after baby's second birthday. Your local library should have a copy of Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron; it is a wonderful book on feeding babies and toddlers; more info at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:38 PM on May. 5, 2009

• first id like to say cereal in a bottle is really bad no matter what age
    second starting on solids to early leads to adult health issues
    third dd started eating cereal at 5 months dint like it and still would rather eat what we are and not baby food
    Anonymous

• MY BABY GIRL JUST TURNED 5 MONTHS AND THE DOCTOR SAID I COULD START NOW
    jordynmommy08

Answer by jordynmommy08 at 1:08 AM on May. 6, 2009