I'm a first time mom and i may not really no crap, but i don't believe she is right and i wont until my doctor tells me it is ok for my child.

I have an appointment this afternoon for my daughter (10 months) with her pedi, because of a facial rash on forehead and cheeks. IDK, maybe heat, may be allergies, could be anything. That is why i am taking her. Anyways hubbys grandmother, (thinks she knows it all because she has raised so many kids) said why are you taking her give her some benadryl and see if that helps. I said no that when she was a baby they told me not to give her benedryl because it contains a sleeping agent. IDK if that still goes for now but i am not giving it to her until her doctor say too. On the bottle is says under 6 years old as a doctor. She continued on to say it worked for so and so. I said oh well, i already have the appointment so i will just wait. It isn't anythign that is effecting her breathing or anything is it just redness of the face and bumps.Anyways am i in the wrong? SHe makes me nervous with so many other things too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, you are not wrong. I would wait as well.
    Anonymous

• I think you are doing what is best. Remember, grandma's may think they are helping by giving advise, but as a grandma myself, I always say, well that's been many years ago, so you'd better check it out with the Dr. Times have changed, but she may be just trying to help. Just say thank you and proceed to do with what you are comfortable. You can take advise or dispose of it, that's the beauty of it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:24 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My doctor did tell me to give my 7 month old benadryl for his allergies last summer but I would follow what your doctor said. Don't give it to her and just wait. She is your daughter, you know best.
    Anonymous

• She may be right and you may be right. Depends on what the doc says. Benadryl reduces skin irritations and the sleeping agent makes the child sleep so they won't scratch themselves. You're right that you don't give an infant bendryl but your child is a bit older and might be able to tolerate a half dose or use the benadryl cream on her skin.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:25 PM on May. 5, 2009

• You never know and at 10 months why risk an allergic reaction to the medication. Rather be safe then sorry. It could be an allergy or anything so wait it out.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:25 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I'd definitely take your LO to the doctors, and the next time your hubby's grandmother gives her grief, remind her that when she was raising kids it was ok to use lead paint on cribs and let the kids chew on them and that you would rather research or talk to the doctor about how it is suppose to be done. the lead paint-crib bit might be a little harsh though. ;-)
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 2:26 PM on May. 5, 2009

• piffle, I meant to say "gives you grief"
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 2:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• No, you're right. There are lots of things that people did and thought then, medically, that we now know is not best. Waiting for your drs approval is the prudent course of action.

And honestly, I'd personally be skeptical if your Dr says to give Benadryl without knowing that it is in fact an allergy. Giving medicine willy nilly without knowing what you're treating is irresponsible, IMO, and I'd hope a dr would do a little investigating before prescribing medication.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:28 PM on May. 5, 2009

• If the bottle said "under a year see the doctor" then I might feel pressured, but "under six" no way, it sounds as though it shouldn't even be used on a toddler without a doctor's say so. Take a breath, thank her for her advice, and do as you feel best.

Answer by Bmat at 2:33 PM on May. 5, 2009

• You are mom. Do what YOU feel is best. And it IS best to get proper dosages from your doctor rather then your grandmother.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:35 PM on May. 5, 2009