How do I get my two year old excited to potty train

sammijames15

Asked by sammijames15 at 2:25 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started mine and my grandkids off with this fantastic book called, "Once Upon at Potty". It explains it in simple terms so that they can understand and become fascinated with it. Besides, it's so cute, you will love it!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• That book is also a short DVD... complete with a really silly song. You'll get a kick out of it as well (we got it from our public library)...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:28 PM on May. 5, 2009

• A. maybe he's not ready if he doesn't care
    or...
    B. being "excited" is overrated. my boy's weren't excited. I praised them excitedly when they had success but they weren't excited about it to begin with. having mommy & daddy be all "Wow what a big boy oh my goodness this and that etc etc" could accidentally just add more pressure to the kid. I believe in just making it not so big a deal. KWIM?
    mysweetJBs

Answer by mysweetJBs at 2:28 PM on May. 5, 2009

• my son is still a little young to potty train, but his grandma couldnt resist getting us a portable potty! she works at walmart and always grabs the big hitter items before they sell out. it's a truck that makes beeping sounds when the pressure of pee/poo hits the bottom lol. the seat is removable to put on the big potty, and the truck becomes a step stool! very cute!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree the excitement is a little overrated... we used the "once upon a potty" DVD to help her get the vocabulary, etc... but we trained her at 19 months. She wasn't asking to use the potty, wasn't showing many of the "readiness signs" (which I also think people put too much stock in) and wasn't particularly excited about it... it was just something she was expected to learn how to do. She rose to the challenge as I knew she would. I agree if you don't make a huge deal about it, just let them know what you expect them to do, and show them how, you'll be well on your way...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:38 PM on May. 5, 2009