Is it ok to start taking a vitamin supplement to help stimulate my milk supply?

When is it ok to start taking something to assist in lactation? I had a horrible supply with my son and though I am in my first trimester I want to make sure I am prepared.

Suggestions?

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 2:27 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's nothing you can really do during pregnancy. Keep a positive attitude, join La Leche League, and once the baby comes, nurse ON DEMAND. As often, and as long as the baby wants.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:34 PM on May. 5, 2009

• dont stop taking your prenatal pills
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Ask your doctor as your not making milk just yet which could cause an infection or blockage in the milk ducts.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I have never stopped taking my prenatal vitamins. I take it every morning.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:32 PM on May. 5, 2009

• You don't get your milk until after the baby is born. You are so early in pregnancy that I don't think extra things other than your prenatals are necessary. Nurse like crazy after your baby is born. If your supply is low still then you should nurse and nurse, pump after nursing, nurse more, etc. I did all that and still had a low supply then started taking fenugreek and a perscription my OB gave me after that.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:34 PM on May. 5, 2009