9 week old gets up a lot.

My 9 week old is exclusively breastfed and gets up a lot at night to breastfeed, probably every 1.5-3 hrs. I have to go back to work and I don't know how I'll make it with so little sleep. Also, she just started sleeping in her crib (co-sleeping didn't work b/c she's a really noisy little sleeper) so she wakes up sometimes once an hour just to cry. What can I do to get her to sleep longer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's nothing that you can do. This is normal newborn behavior
    Anonymous

• 9 weeks is a growth spurt age! so more frequent feedings and mostly at night, is normal and wont last. but I never went back to work, so how to handle that I'm not sure sorry! when she wakes up to "cry", and you know it isnt a hunger cry, does it last a long time? do you check up on her? she is still a very young baby. I didnt CIO my baby and just picked him up when he fussed after 5 minutes or so. and he turned out just fine! he outgrew all of that quickly.
    Anonymous

• Let her fuss it out before you get her to nurse. Make sure she is eating a lot during the day and then give her a big feeding right before bed. She will get past this stage.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:54 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree with the PP - 9-15 weeks tends to be a MAJOR growth spurt. Frequently babies who have previously slept 4+ hours straight at night will start waking every other hour during these weeks. Try to tune into her needs and pay close attention to her cries - her "I'm tired and I just want mommy to put me back to sleep" cries will sound different than her hunger cries. The more and quicker you tend to her needs - whether it be for closeness (since she's not in your bed anymore) or food, the more trust you will build with your baby and the better off things will be in the long run.

Try to fit in a nap with her during the day sometime to help with your tiredness and to have extra close time with her since she may be missing that being in the crib. And don't stress! Most babies grow out of this pretty easily. And after 4 months or so, you may be able to get her to nurse more during the day so that she'll sleep better. GL!
    MrsRich

Answer by MrsRich at 3:07 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Is she sleeping swaddled? That helped ours not to wake themselves up as often just from the startle reflex. Once you get through this growth spurt, things might start looking a little better. That's typically the age that babies start doing a slightly longer stretch at the beginning of the night. Slightly. You can try offering a pacifier to see if she'll go back to sleep for the FIRST feeding of the night... she may do this with no trouble. (I am NOT saying let her cry!) Around 10-11 weeks we started this with both our daughters and they went back to sleep... then after a few days of this (so we stretched out the amount of time without milk from every 2 hours to a stretch of about 4 hours, but they still woke up as many times) they would skip the first wake-up altogether... Doing it very slowly like this, every month or two we lost one feeding, so the first stretch of the night got 1-2 hours longer. Go to bed when she does!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:19 PM on May. 5, 2009