How do I tell my relative that I am "gayed out"?

I love my family member dearly. I absolutely believe whole heartedly 100%-tattoo-a-rainbow-on-my-forehead in gay rights and have been a supporter of the movement since before this person "came out". BUT I want to talk about something other than being gay with this person. There is a whole world of things that go on in their life that doesn't revolve around being gay, like litter boxes and which laundry detergent is better. How do I get them to see that and understand that there is more to life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• you want to talk about the litter box? hehe jk

just bring up another conversation....
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:12 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't say anything about not hearing about gay stuff...maybe just bring up other topics and see where the convo goes. Bring up cat litter and random stuff.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:57 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i agree! dont feel like you HAVE to talk about gay rights...just carry on a normal conversation to get comfortable with each other. if you would like to eventually talk about gay rights, start a conversation about politics!
    Anonymous

• Just say it. Hey your gay, you're proud and now what? Tell her you'd feel this way about any topic that's being played out.
    MAMAMISTY33

Answer by MAMAMISTY33 at 3:01 PM on May. 5, 2009

• some people are just "in your face" gay and some people just suck at making conversation!
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 3:06 PM on May. 5, 2009

• If you guys are really close then just say how you feel if not, then try to divert the conversation, kind of like hey did you hear about this or what do you think of this, I have done that before with an old friend of mine she ALWAYS wanted to talk about how her husband cheated on her and while I was always supportive, it got to the point where that was all she would ever want to talk about, so I would just change the convo and start talking about something else, even if it was just the weather.

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 3:09 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Im the type to say..yeah, yeah your gay. Now would you please jump back in the closet! LOL
    Anonymous

• Usually people who are new to a religion or newly outed will not really want to talk about anything else for a while....newbies...LOL He'll grow out of it afterwhile. Until then, just change the subject tactfully.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon 12:55. That is exactly what I was going to say. It is new. It will pass.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 4:15 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm pretty direct too... I'd likely say "yea yea yea, we know you're gay.. now hush!" lol
    Serioulsy, I'd outright tell them that no matter how many times they say it, they're not going to convert me lol
    And then I'd tell them that I hope they're not having this same conversation with the other friends like they are with you because you're wishing they'd go back in the closet or find a new topic. But yea, if they just came out, then they've got some pent up stuff they need to share till they're comfortable with everyone being comfortable with them being gay maybe.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:34 PM on May. 5, 2009