Where is your job?

I thought this would be an interesting discussion. With so many people unemployed and Obama's stimulus plan to create jobs, if you, your husband, or family members/friends are currently unemployed, let's take a look at the possibilities of returning to work under that plan. Let's find out how many people are laid off from an employer who will likely call back employees (is there a good chance this will happen for the above people); has the employer completely eliminted the job position; has the employer closed up shop completely, gone bankrupt, moved out of the U.S.; will the above people have a good shot of getting another job with another existing employer; have any new employers come into your area that will soon be hiring or is hiring right now? Let's just see how possible it is that people will be able to get off unemployment and working again.

Msaural

Asked by Msaural at 3:01 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• ask this again in one or two years gees give him a break

Anonymous

• no new jobs in the area and the school is closing up completely after 29 years.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 3:03 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I am a receptionist for two lawyers. One is the city attorney and one deals with wills,trusts and power of attorneys. I have job security.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:12 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm a SAHM, I'm pretty sure I won't be laid off anytime soon. I have at least 18 years to go.
    Anonymous

• Anon 3:03--Honestly, this doesn't have anything to do with bashing Obama. It's just to take a practical look at the possibility that when the economy improves, which the media is touting over the last couple of days has been shown and stating that likely by the fall of this year we will be rebounding, how many people actually can say they will be able to return to their jobs, that new jobs will come to their area, that those who do will employ sufficient numbers, etc. Where I live, employment is fueled by the auto industry. Unemployment just in my city is over 28,000 people unemployed. Many of those people will never return to their previous jobs because their jobs have been eliminated. Many won't return to their employment, because the employer no longer exists. Even with a few new companies coming into the area, the most that those employers are or will be hiring is 150 here, 50 there.
    Anonymous

• My job isn't going anywhere! Gotta love working for a nonprofit organization!
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 3:25 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My DH was unable to work for months (before Obama!) and was a SAHD for a year as well. When we decided we needed to improve our situation, we decided that he would serve our country.

IMO this is a valuable and viable option for many people. I also think that while many of us are willing to gripe about needing money/jobs/security as well as how crappy everything is in the US, they don't stop to think why they are "entitled" to any of those things. My DH is serving with several men and women who were immigrants to our country and chose to show their appriciation for America by serving in the military.

I'm not saying this is for everyone, or that anyone can do it. I'm only suggesting that many people are too quick to blame others when they could be improving their situations; even if that means doing something the don't "like/love". (and not just military service, but "lower-class" jobs as well)
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:49 PM on May. 5, 2009

• DH is a laid off steel worker. He has been on unemployment since jan. The mill is all he knows. There is nothing around here for him that pays more than $10/hr. We can't live on that.
    Anonymous

• I am in Iowa my town has jobs and really low unemployment. If people are willing to relocate there are jobs. There is a town in Wyoming that needs people for all the jobs they have.
    Anonymous

• DH is laid off with job eliminated. He also has 2 vertibrae fused together which impacts his job prospects. He is in competition with about 20,000 other people, just in our town. That's not including the other towns in our county or the 5 counties surrounding us with equally high unemployment. Several major employers here shut down completely. He's currently self-employed but business is pretty much gone - nobody has the spare money anymore, they do for themselves or do without.

Obama came here and smiled pretty and said help was on the way, but he also said everyone in town would get extended unemployment and would be able to get COBRA, and those were both flat out lies.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:18 PM on May. 5, 2009