do you regret not breastfeeding?

We had twins 4 months ago and because I was returning to work we decided to not breastfeed. My office life is not exactly conducive to pumping or I would have done that! I wish that I could have stayed home and nursed so bad! We started out on Enfamil LactoFree formula and then found out that they are discontinuing it! Then DS got sick... maybe my body would have produced antibodies for him! DD will not take powder formula (which is what is the easiest to find). We changed to Similac Sensitive and now she's quit eating that! You know breastfeeding costs nothing and unless your milk dries up, you don't have to worry about it being discontinued! Hindsight is 20/20! So, do you regret not nursing! I sure wish the situation would have been different so I could have! I wouldn't have minded nursing twins if I could have been home with them!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 3:24 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• So sorry to hear that. I'm currently nursing my 8 week old and I'll tell you, it is certainly not any easier than formula feeding, in fact, I've tried to supplement her with formula and she refuses it. At times, I have had to feed her every hour to half hour and I have been so frustrated I've wanted to just quit or have a breakdown (not b/c of pain but b/c of exhaustion, frustration, etc.). Not to mention that I am the only one who can feed her in the night even though I'll be going back to work next week. I have been lucky I've been able to breastfeed, but it is def. not easy! I was a formula fed baby and I am fine, also my friend's kid was exclusively breastfed and he's had every known infant illness there is!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:55 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I dont regret not nursing. That may sound selfish or whatnot, but it just wasnt for me. My daughter has never had any problems and has been on formula since she was born. A lot of women say that its a way of bonding with their babies, but I found other ways of bonding with her. Will I breastfeed future kids? Probably not, but thats not set in stone.
    Williamswifey

Answer by Williamswifey at 3:29 PM on May. 5, 2009

• No, my kids are healthy, and not going to be made to feel guilty for saying so.
    Anonymous

• I am mad that I only did it for a year. I wasn't well informed and stopped because I thought he wasn't getting enough or not satisfied. He was just having a groth spurt. Will nurse any future children till they wean themselves.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:32 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm not bashing (heck I would be bashing myself). I'm just absolutely frustrated with the situation and needed to vent and see if anyone else had issues like this!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 3:38 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i regret it.
    i wish i would have known then what i know now but i just wasn't well informed at all.
    Anonymous

• I don't regret it. I was in so much pain I was not bonding with my child. I would rather have a relationship than to hate feeding her.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, breastfeeding helps boost the immune system, but only really helps fight the infection if you have had that particualr illness in the past. But at least your child is building up her resistance for future use early. :)
    Anonymous

• Contact the lactation specialist at the hospital where you delivered or La Leche League, it may be possible for you to start now.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I breastfed two children and formula fed two, I can say for sure I don't regret breastfeeding the two I did, nor do I regret formula feeding the two I did. Each child and situation is different, for me I had different situations with each child and went with what was best for the child which is how it should be.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:43 PM on May. 5, 2009