Can someone explain why this may happen?

I am nursing my son who is 4 months. For the past week or just about he has been eating off one side. What is going on is, when's it's time to feed him he will eat a little bit from my right breast but then out of nowhere he will take his mouth off and scream bloody murder. (Also let me add in -in the morning when he first wakes up he will eat from both. The feedings there after is when all of this happens) SoI keep attempting to return him to that breast but the same thing will occur. I put him on the left breast and he has no issue. Yesterday he did not do any of this. He ate off both just fine. Today he went back to the same thing; however, I shushed him and pat his bottom ( which he likes, helps him relax b/c it puts him to sleep at times) everytime he would take his mouth off and scream then he would put himself back on. He ate off my right breast for about 5-7mins total. Has anyone else experienced this? And Why?

jesscaron

Asked by jesscaron at 3:26 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try holding him in a diff. position on that side. Maybe football hold instead. that might help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm thinking it's a matter of personal comfort level for your baby. We all have our preferences, and babies are no exception. For example, we all have certain sleep positions that we favor, or certain places we like to sit. When holding your son, perhaps it's just more comfortable for him to lay a certain way.
    Spiritheart

Answer by Spiritheart at 3:33 PM on May. 5, 2009

• He also could be getting a gas bubble that he feels more on the one side. Try burping and putting him back on the breast that he is having trouble with. I also agree on trying different positions.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:36 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Maybe he has an ear infection in one ear and it puts too much pressure on it on that side? IDK, just a thought
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 3:44 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My DD favors one breast as well. It may be that she gets more/less milk from that breast and prefers it or that she prefers the way I hold her on that breast. I just keep making sure she nurses off both, since I don't want to be lopsided. Keep putting him in different positions on that breast and I'm sure he'll get used to it. It's normal.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:03 PM on May. 5, 2009