Question about blood sugar levels in Gestational Diabetes...

Okay, so I have GD and it is diet controlled. My numbers haven't been far off normal, at the most a point or two elevated after I have a carb-rich meal (pasta is my weakness :S )

Anyhow, I just took my blood out of my right index finger and didn't get much blood out, enough to cover the strip but I had to squeeze the hell outta my finger too. The number was 137. That seemed awfully high so I checked another finger, one on my left hand which I usually check my blood on. The thing bled like normal and the number was 119.

My question is has anyone else noticed a difference between your numbers when checking with one hand versus the other? I am right handed and it does seem like the needle has to go down deeper in my right hand too to get blood.

Nunyabiznes

Asked by Nunyabiznes at 3:28 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Health

• I am not sure on this one. I had Gestational Diabetes too. I had to prick my self 7 times a day and then inject insulin in my stomach at night. As for your question, I am not sure because that did not happen to me. You might want to contact your doctor or advice nurse just in case. They both are high. I remember if it was over 104 or 109 I forget it was high and if it was below 70 it was too low. You can wait it out and try again before you eat your next meal to better gauge it. Good Luck!
    littllea

Answer by littllea at 4:06 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Didn't your doctor refer you to a diabetes educator? This is the person you should contact (this is what my sister, a CDE and nurse/midwife, does for a living). If you eat pasta, just be sure that it is whole grain, and that you eat a big salad first.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:03 PM on May. 5, 2009