Question about blood sugar numbers with Gestational Diabetes...

Okay, so I have GD and it is diet controlled. My numbers haven't been far off normal, at the most a point or two elevated after I have a carb-rich meal (pasta is my weakness :S )

Anyhow, I just took my blood out of my right index finger and didn't get much blood out, enough to cover the strip but I had to squeeze the hell outta my finger too. The number was 137. That seemed awfully high so I checked another finger, one on my left hand which I usually check my blood on. The thing bled like normal and the number was 119.

My question is has anyone else noticed a difference between your numbers when checking with one hand versus the other? I am right handed and it does seem like the needle has to go down deeper in my right hand too to get blood.

Nunyabiznes

Asked by Nunyabiznes at 3:29 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've been diabetic for 11yrs, and that type of thing does not affect it. However if you washed your right hand with a certain soap, or ate food with that hand before you checked, that could be why the level was higher.
    Anonymous

• I had GD when I was pregnant and I saw something similar to your situation if I did not clean my fingers with an alcohol swab before checking my sugar. It wouldn't be a huge difference in numbers, but there would be a 5-15 point difference sometimes
    jm14879

Answer by jm14879 at 3:34 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Well, I always use an alcohol swab on the site before checking. I had put some cocoa butter lotion on my hands beforehand, but swabbed the finger too. Do you think maybe it has something to do with that? It's just weird.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 3:50 PM on May. 5, 2009