How do I stop nursing my baby to sleep?

My baby is soon to be 7 months. I nurse him to sleep at naptimes and bedtime. I have attempted many times to stop, but I just haven't been able to do it. I refuse to use cio with him, but it feels like cio when i try to deny him the breast. I am terrified of when we wean from the breast with his current sleep routine. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i read in "what to expect the first year" to wean off night feedings at 5 months. but It just didnt make sense to me. I mean if my baby is hungry, I'm gonna feed him. but part of me felt I was creating a bad habit and he'd have trouble sleeping through the night the rest of his life. but I still nursed him at night if he was hungry. he stopped and self weaned off night feedings around 10 m/o. I mean just out of nowhere! so everything ended up being ok! night feedings did no harm to his sleep routine afterall
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:35 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Try having his daddy rock him to sleep or someone else. I can not easily put my baby down for a nap or bed w/out breastfeeding her, but anyone else can easily put her down.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:36 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Your child is still very young. I would not worry about cutting out the night feedings until after a year. "Many moms feel guilty for nursing their baby to sleep. Nursing your baby to sleep is not a bad thing to do! It's very normal and developmentally appropriate for babies to nurse to sleep and to wake 1-3 times during the night for the first year or so. Some babies don't do this, but they are the exception, not the rule." http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/comfortnursing.html   Check out that article and it should make you feel confident in allowing baby to nurse to sleep.

Anonymous

• I went through the same thing with son. I ended up breastfeeding him for 15 months and I had a hard time to wean him off. ussually only 12 months are recommended of breast milk. The problem is that the longer that you do it then the harder it will be to wean them off. I had to leave my son with my aunt for a few hours a day and she struggled to get him to drink out of the bottle but everytime that I would come home then he would say "bobbie" and it broke my heart but I would do my best to not give in. The other problem is getting them to go to sleep because without the breast, they just do not know how to go to sleep. I first had to give him a ride in the car to get him to sleep (that's really bad). now that he is 20 months old, he is still sleeping with us and getting better at going to sleep when we turn off the light or watching TV. I feel that I have reached some progress but I still need to get him out of my bed.
    coolmom1

Answer by coolmom1 at 4:18 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I promise you that you will enjoy parenthood so incredibly much more if you just dont worry/stress about it and let him do it when he's ready. He WILL eventually stop nursing, and will be able to put himself to sleep. However, that transition will be much easier on both of you if you wait til he's around two years. I spent the first six months of my daughter's life stressing all of my efforts onto trying to get her to sleep on her own, in her crib, all night long. I ended up resenting parenthood and my daughter, and only when I gave that up and RELAXED about her sleeping, did I start to fully enjoy being a mother. Of course now I absolutely love motherhood and cant wait to have more babies. It's natural and fine to let your baby nurse to sleep, sleep with you, nurse into toddlerhood, etc.

Unless this is truly causing problems for your family, there's no need to change a thing :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 5:36 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Actually 2 years of breastmilk is recommended. He's still young and that's his comfort, I would hang in there a little longer or unlatch and lay him down before he goes to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on May. 6, 2009