Drink lots of fluid and lay on left side to stimulate contractions?

Has anyone else ever been told that drinking lots of fluids and laying on your left side can help stimulate labor and dilation? I had an appointment with WIC today and the nurse told me to lay on my left side and drink lots of fluids because this would help regulate my contractions and progress dilation. I was in labor and delivery last night for about an hour with irregular contractions; that is why this has been suggested. I am 38 weeks and 4 days along. Has anyone else heard of this or done this and had it work?

mothergibson

Asked by mothergibson at 3:46 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Thats actually the position most women are told to get into if they are havng pretature contractions to stop them. I think they are telling you this to help keep you from dehydrating too. If your confused I'd just call them and ask them to explain it better to you.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:54 PM on May. 5, 2009

• that sounds like they are advising you on that because of dehydration. i would still do as they say but get up and stay active if you want to stimulate labor. walk around. walking helps a lot. and yes do drink plenty of fluids. it will keep you from dehydrating during labor.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:49 PM on May. 5, 2009

• That doesn't stimulate contractions, it does the opposite. You are suppose to drink lots of water and either recline or lay on your left side when having Braxton Hicks.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:27 PM on May. 5, 2009